Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Birdluvr 
#1 ·
I just wanted to introduce myself. I have a male rosey bourkes and a female senegal and hope to add a lineolated parakeet to my flock soon.

#9 ·
Unfortunately, I am not computer savy, so I will have to have my sons help me figure out how to post pictures of the birds.

The bourkes really belongs to my daughter. His name is Stanley. He is a marvelous bird for a child. I strongly recommend bourkes for children. His noises are beautiful. He is so gentle that we take him with us to school. He will also follow her fingers around and make little circles or whatever she directs. He has several little "balls" made of tiny vines. (I don't know how else to describe them.) On many mornings he makes geometric designs with them in the bottom of his cage, then he gets up on the highest perch and enjoys his design for a couple of days before making a new one. I accused my daughter of doing this at first, but I have witnessed him doing it himself. I think I hear him say "pretty", but everyone says bourkes never talk, so probably it is just a natural sound they make. He would get himself into trouble with the senegal if ever given the chance. He tries to get next to her, but I won't allow it for his safety. I don't think she would try to hurt him, but I think she would hurt him, nevertheless. He is very interested in what she is doing in her cage, and plays when she plays, eats when she eats, and sleeps as close to her as he can get.

The senegal seems to find the bourkes mildly entertaining, but that is about as far as her enchantment with him goes. She likes to do her own thing. She is also very gentle toward people, but that big beak can get her in trouble in a hurry when it comes to things. Earrings are her enemy, and she really would like to get rid of my glasses, too.

Lisa, if you've fallen in love with a senegal you probably should not visit it further unless you are prepared to bring it home. Poicephalus know how to win people's hearts. I originally wanted a meyers, but the bird store where we got the bourkes had senegals and brown heads. I knew they would have meyers eventually, and so I would play with the senegals and brown heads and tell myself that I would learn all about handling poicephalus while waiting for a meyers clutch to arrive. You can see how that worked out for me! Roni stole my heart with her sweet ways. They have this way of turning their heads and flirting with you. It is irresistable. I love her just the way she is.

I find it amusing that The Brute Squad consists of a male senegal and a female bourkes. Are these your only birds?

Chompie puppy, are those pictures of your birds? They are beautiful, but I am sorry to show my ignorance by having to ask what kinds they are. I believe the middle one might be a female plum head. The only thing I can even guess on the other two is some type of lory. At any rate, they are beautiful pictures of beautiful birds.

Thank you all for your welcomes.

#12 ·
Welcome! I can't wait to hear more senegal and bourkes stories. I don't know too much about bourkes but have heard they are amazing birds that get along with almost any type of bird and person!

Linnies are much the same, from what I have found. At least my boy Rico is amazing! He may not want to always be around you but he's so happy just sitting and talking to you.

Anyways, welcome to the group!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.