Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we named him floyd, after pink floyd:lol: My husband insisted and I thought it suited him perfectly.:giggle: He is such a little doll, sweet and loves being pet already, he also like being close to my face, he pushes his face into mine, its just soooo sweet. Nanay, I will make sure he knows hes a manly man, Lol. Thats too funny. Its takes a real man to wear pink:rofl:

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
FLOYD - love it! Such a handsome bird :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
He is beautiful! :)
I like bourkes, they are really unique :p

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Floyd is the best name I've ever heard of for a pink male bird. :thumbsup: I love it.

Looks like you already have grates and ladders and all those great things set up for him that he needs, too.

How does Lily seem to like him? Don't linnies and bourkes look great together? Their shapes, especially their head shapes, look so cute side by side.

Sounds like you found a very special bourkes. Yeah for Floyd!!!!

:cngrs13:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I know I was very impressed my husband came up with floyd:giggle: Its too cute!!!! Lily likes him lots, she contact calls for him quite a bit. They do look pretty cute together:biggrin5: Ya Im hoping his cage is set up okay. He doesnt seem to get around much yet. Wherever I put him he kinda just stays their, lol. He just got his wings clipped yesterday and she clipped them good so Im thinking hes just not used to them yet. I havent seen him drink yet and am kinda starting to get worried. Im just so used to how much linnies eat and drink. :lol: Do bourkes not eat and drink that much?? Well as much, lol. Thanks again, We are just smitten with him, hes a very sweet boy.:lovehearts:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nice bird!

Kim,

Welcome to the "Bourke Club"! I hope you enjoy Floyd as much as I enjoy my Bourke, Twitter!!!

Will you let Floyd become fully-flighted? I really enjoy having Twitter flying around but it's an individual choice and should be based on your own situation.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Kim,

Bourkes freeze when frightened, and Stanley usually takes a few days to get used to any new cage, even when we have just changed things around in his cage. He has been here just over a year now, and the last time I put him into a "different" cage, which was a cage he had lived in many times before but just a change, he was comfortable enough to explore immediately. This means it took him a year to get used to changes in cages he is already used to.

It is very normal behavior for Floyd to freeze in his cage, and it will be a couple of weeks before you can evaluate whether or not you have enough ways for him to get around and use his whole cage because he will need to get comfortable before he explores.

Stanley drinks much less water by volume than Elisa, or so it seems to me. Grasskeets pooh is much less watery, so maybe that is why. However, do make certain he knows how to get to the water. Even put him down in the cage right by the water.

My grasskeets both eat nearly any type of vegetable I offer but pick at fruit, if they eat it at all. Pomegranite, which is really mostly seed, seems to be their favorite fruit. They also will kind of pick at the seeds in kiwi, but they really don't seem to like the fruit itself, but they'll eat it to get to the seeds. I bet they would eat fresh strawberries for the same reason, though I've never tried them. (Don't know why since they are in season here, and the season is almost finished.) Stanley, the bourkes, will also pick at an orange slice, but Isaac, the splendid, will not eat citrus fruit at all. They might pick at apple and pear, but I honestly don't remember if they do or not. They LOVE vegetables. Isaac will eat any vegetable offered. Stanley eats all types of green leafy vegetables, carrots, broccoli, beans, peas, and corn, and kind of picks at squash and sweet potato.

Elisa, lineolated parakeet, is partial to sweet stuff. She will eat all types of fruit. As for vegetables, she likes the sweeter types: carrots, squash, sweet potato, peas, corn. She only picks at green leafy vegetables, green beans, and broccoli.

When given a plate of mixed fruits and vegetables, between the three of them they clean everything because they prefer different things, but I don't know how good it is for me to let them pick out their favorites like that. :shrug: They each get a little of what they don't like picking through for what they want this way. Additionally, Stanley takes food out of the other's mouths, so he probably eats a wider variety when eating with the others than when eating alone.

Sorry, that post was long. Don't know why I went into all of that. I guess I just wanted to explain some differences I've found.

Reactions: Eliza

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Ron,

I'll try to do better with pictures. I don't even think I have the first picture of Daisy posted yet. :eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys!!!! Bourkes are awesome!!!! Ron, ya I think Im definately gonna let him become full flighted eventually. I would love for him to be able to flit all over the place. I just worry slightly about safety. Nanay thank you for all that info. I love your postS their always soooo informative, Its GREAT:thumbsup:I have been putting him on his food and water dishes often and hes finally had a drink:yesnod: So another question, ;) when it comes to rotating toys should I not do that often.If at all? I know they dont really play with toys very much but I still have quite a few in the cage. Should I have so many of them???? I think I just might buy more perches. Ill let him settle in for a while longer than see how he does once he starts exploring. Hes a bit more nervous today, my sweet little guy. Do I handle him as much as possible like other birds? Or should I just leave him be for a few days. Sorry for all the questions,Im just curious about these beautiful bourkes special needs, Im sure Ill be a pro with bourkes in no time with everyones help. I still cant get over how awesome they are. Im suprised more people dont own them:) Their missin out!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Congrats on your little guy! He is too cute and I LOVE his name.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
We do rotate Stanley's toys about once a month. I would recommend rotating toys for bourkes. However, I would not recommend rotating perches or toys until Floyd is comfortable in his cage, and that will probably take at least the first month. You CAN go ahead and add perches and other climbing materials at any time if you realize that he isn't using an area of his cage because he cannot climb or hop to it.

Any time you add a perching material or toy that Floyd is unfamiliar with, it may take him several days, even weeks, before he starts to explore it, but eventually he will explore everything. We recently added a new type of perch to Stanley's cage. It was a material he had not seen previously. It took him three weeks before he started climbing on that perch. Now he loves it. He had already been with us a year when we added this new type of perching material.

Do not give up on the idea that Floyd will eventually play all over his cage. It will happen when he is comfortable and when he figures out easily how to get into all areas of the cage. Just watch, and if, after a month or so, he still isn't going into certain areas, he probably just cant' figure out how, and so then you can add more perches.

Stanley plays with every kind of toy I've ever seen made for little birds. He played with toys when he was the only bird in the house, but I suspect that he watches the other birds now that he is not a lone bird and gets ideas on how to play from them. Bourkes in general love toys made with paper. Roll up scraps of paper into balls, give them light sheets like adding machine tape and receipts. Shredded paper, and toys with shredded paper inside, are great, too. They like vine balls and woven toys (woven paper and woven vines and wicker type things). Strings, grasses, straw, straws, long pieces of leather, thin plastic strings, chains made with tiny plastic links, and anything long and thin attract them. Stanley also likes bells, feathers, and pine cones. He will chew on very soft woods, but he doesn't really prefer that. He will move and poke around plastic beads that are on strings and such, but he won't play with plastic unless it is attached to somethine else he likes.

I know many people's bourkes do not play with toys, but I think that Floyd will start because he is little, but only if you offer him plenty of variety now. He should also see Lily play with toys, and that might stimulate his own play. That isn't why Stanley plays with toys. He played with all kinds of toys when he was the only bird. Even now, both Stanley and Isaac play with toys more than Elisa, my linnie, does.

I always say there is never a problem with leaving a bird alone to adjust to its new cage and environment for a couple of days. However, your bird is already very tame so I wouldn't leave him alone much longer than that. It will take a long time before your bird becomes as active as he will normally be, and that is just the way bourkes are, but since he was handfed I do not think ignoring him for several days would make him feel safer. I think it would result in just the opposite. Don't feel that you did anything wrong when he is sedentary. You didn't. It is just the bourkes' reaction to change.

Regarding cage rotation, we DO rotate toys monthly, but when we get a perch configuration that works easily for Stanley, we might not change the perches around for a long time. Stanley's flight feathers grow in wrong, so unless that changes he won't ever be able to fly right. You might not have these issues once Floyd can fly again.

Reactions: Eliza and Jenny

·
Registered
160 Posts
The shy stage

Kim,

Nanay brings up a good point about Bourkes having a "shy stage". Twitter was finger tame from day one but didn't like me very much for a while. I was afraid she would never bond to me. Every time I took her out, she flew right back to her cage (her wings were clipped but were growing back by the time I got her). But I kept working with her every day. Even though she flew home in a few minutes, I kept taking her out and made it like a game for her to fly back to her cage.

Then, after a couple months, I tried just opening the cage door and then sitting in the other room watching TV. Very soon, she just flew in to see what I was doing. Then she would land on my knee - then my arm - finally my shoulder. Now, when I let her out, she does a few laps and then comes right over to me and lands on my chest or shoulder and then jumps on my finger - where she will chirp to me for half an hour, if I let her. Then she'll fly back to check out what Peeper is doing - then back to me, etc.

Having a fully-flighted bird is different than a wing-clipped bird. You are less in control and they come to you out of free will. Luckilly, Twitter has become very friendly. As a fully-flighted bird, Twitter expects "fair play". So I don't take her out unless I can devote 10 - 15 minutes to it - otherwise, she might be less cooperative about going back in. My doves are the same way. I can't let them loose for 2 minutes. They want to be out a while (15 minutes or so) or they will be difficult to get back in their cages.

Reactions: Eliza

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys again you posts are so very informative.I appreciate all you advice, stories and tips!!! Well we have made progress in the last day.I sat with him last night on the couch and he ran all over me and preened himself and even let me pet him a few times and seemed to like it. I had him on the couch with me for about an hour, and he seemed content. When I went to put him back in his cage he tried running up my arm. So I know that we are doing really well, he really is adjusting, and becoming used to me fast.

Floyd LOVES to be out of his cage on top on his playstand, he could sit their all day. :) I find that now he goes on their, he eats and eats and eats:lol: No as much as my linnies but still quite a bit. And He also is playing away with this one ball I have their for him, lol.He flings it all over the place. He carries it to the edge of his cage and drops it. Its his favorite toy so far. Thanks for the ideas nanay, I gave him a couple paper balls to play with.:biggrin5:I have the linnies cages in a spot where they cant see floyd, it was the only spot to put them that looked good. So he doesnt really get to see them play, hopefully I can help to show him.

Oh my my, As Im typing this he flew to me for the first time:hurray: My computer is really close to his cage. Yayyy thats huge.:) Im soo happy, lol.Funny it happened as Im writing this:lol: But ya that said ,he does like to be out. When I come in to the kitchen in the morning he starts chirping away(very quietly)lol, for me to let him out. Its sooo cute. I open the cage tell him to step up and he does then I put him on top if his playtop. We have a good routine going right now. I have a hard time knowing how he does in his cage cause hes never in it;) Ill just have to try to observe him at night. I only half cover his cage. Otherwise he scurries around his cage and chirps lots, so I dont know if he like being covered or not, so for now Im just not gonna.

I have to say, I LOVE My linnies, but this bourke is really something special. I dont know if I could find one bad thing to say about them. Im in love with his cute little ways already, And am so excited to see him blossom more;)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Kim,

I must have missed something. How many linnies do you have? I thought you only had Lily. I'm not on the linnie forum much any longer, due to the fact that I got behind and now I can't seem to get caught up.

I saw in Ron's Twitter movie thread that you asked about the differences between splendids and bourkes. I don't want to horn in on his thread, but I did want to tell you the differnces between Stanley and Isaac. I'm sure Ron will give you a great answer about Twitter and Peeper there, though.

Isaac is supposed to be a boy, but he hasn't colored into one yet, so he could be a girl. We know Stanley is a boy. I don't know if there are differences between males and females, but that could be what some of the difference is between these two.

Isaac is MUCH flightier than Stanley. I think that is a pretty universal difference between scarlet chested/splendid parakeets and bourkes parakeets. However, it doesn't have to be the case. We had a member on here who posted quite a bit for a while who has both a male and a female splendid, and I do not think hers were as flighty as Isaac is. I think Isaac could be on the flightier end of the splendid spectrum and Stanley is definitely on the calmer end of the bourkes spectrum.

Other than the flightiness, the birds are very similar. Splendids play with toys more readily than bourkes in general. (Isaac and Stanley actually play equally with toys, but, as stated many times, Stanley plays with toys more than most bourkes.) They like similar kinds of toys.

Splendids can and do climb cage bars. Splendids normal times to be awake are during the day, unlike bourkes who are very active right before the sun comes up and right after the sun goes down. (Which is perhaps why you mention that Floyd runs around and plays in his cage so much when you try to cover him. If it is simply that the sun has set, or he THINKS the sun has set, he is going to play around because that is natural for any bourkes.)

Splendids eat any food offered with gusto! Bourkes are pickier. I'd say it was only Isaac who ate like this, but the other member posted repeatedly that both of her splendids eat anything, and the two other people I know personally who also have splendids have both told me that their splendids eat anything.

Splendids "song" is very different from the noises bourkes make, and very, very beautiful. It is not a true song like a canary, but it is very pleasant. I love Stanley's noises, but I love Isaac's even more. Splendid's sounds are beautiful!

I have seriously considered rehoming Isaac because his fear reactions have been sooooooooooooooo exaggerated. He can get himself into a mess quicker than any bird I've ever seen, and he does it often. He happens to be in a less fearful stage right now, and maybe he is past the worst. I have no idea. It seems to me that the thing that really makes him calmer is Stanley. I might be wrong, but right now, Stanley seems to be the key.

Isaac loves Stanley. He might like another splendid even more. I do not know because to my knowledge he's never even seen another splendid. He was the only member of his clutch, and he may not even have been fed at all by his parents. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I know they had to take him away from his parents when he was younger than they like to take away most babies for handfeeding. He was so little the store owner took him with her everywhere she went to keep his crop full. Therefore, he spent the earliests days he can probably remember in a little cage by himself. When he was older and they were starting to wean him, they put him in with Stanley's clutch mates, who were still in the store. He stayed with them until he came home, and Stanley was here, so, who knows, he may think he is a bourkes.

He likes Elisa, the linnie, but he is calmer and braver when he is around Stanley. He isn't afraid of other birds, though, and he will go right up to the Maximillian Pionus and eat right out of the bowl from which she is eating. He will also walk under her tail or her wing. (He isn't afraid of my senegal, either, but I keep them separated because I think she might hurt him.)

Isaac will come to me by choice, and he will climb all over me. He preens me, too.

I know lots of people who have more than one bourkes and who insist that they are not happy without other bourkes. I don't have another one, so I don't know if Stanley would be happier with another bourkes or not.

I also know people who feel splendids are happier with other splendids, and I know lots of people who have both bourkes and splendids. I have been told that splendids are happier if you do not try to mix pairs of splendids. In other words, if there are females around, the males will fight with one another. I do not know if this is true or not, but I think it probably is.

Splendids and bourkes cannot interbreed, so you wouldn't have to worry about a problem there.

I have been told that bourkes are the calmest of all of the neophemas and make the best pets and splendids are the next calmest and that the othes are even flightier, but I've never even seen any of the others. Additionally, I think bourkes have recently been reclassified and are not even now neophemas, but, oh well.

I would recommend splendids as pets, but with some reservations. They are as gentle as bourkes, so if you love gentleness, you can't go wrong. Their noises are very pleasant. They seldom talk, but Isaac actually does say "pretty bird" and something else that I can't for the life of me remember right now. The reservation I have in recommending them is that they can be very nervous. They can become frightened of something small and just keep getting more and more frightened. They are not birds I would recommend for small kids' pets because of this. They are very gentle. They would not hurt a child, but I do not think they would feel safe and I think the child would be disappointed that the bird was afraid. I can honestly recommend a handfed bourkes for a small child, because they are so gentle and they are not as flighty, but not a splendid. However, I have limited experience, so I'm sure there are exceptions.

Reactions: Eliza and Jenny

·
Registered
182 Posts
Congratulations on your new bouke Floyd. I love the name. I have two rosey bourkes and their names are Rosie and Ruby. They do not eat has much has my linnies and they don't really make a mess. They are the cleanest birds that I own. Their cage is hardly messy and their is hardly any food in the bottom of the cage or on the floor. I love my linnies. Good luck with Floyd.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
So, how is Floyd today?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.