Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday i rescued a scaly breasted lorikeet. my dog had it in it's mouth (don't worry he is two kilos with no teeth the lorikeet is fine) and since the dog is in no way capable of taking a bird from its nest, i assume that the lorikeet has fallen from its nest. The lorikeet (known as gummy) has no flight feathers and his eyes are quite large in comparison to my other lorikeets but apart from that looks almost full grown. I've spent a lot of time with him and he is almost fully tame, happily accepting back rubs and will step up easily (we had to work on this but he became comfortable very quickly). I noticed to lorikeets hanging around his cage, and today when i let him out side to run around, came up to him and fed him. I'm quite sure they are gummy's parents. I've worked out where his nest is, and it's wayyyyy too high for me to get to. so what do I do? do i keep looking after him and giving him visits until he can fly away? Will he not be accepted back after human contact and i should just keep him? Is there a way for me to get him back to his parents that doesnt involve him flying? PS. i live on farmland so this is definetly not a runaway pet! Please help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, an article I read (What to do if you find a wild animal • Lollypop Farm) says that you SHOULD return the bird to its nest as soon as possible, unless it is a fledgling learning to fly. Is Gummy learning how to fly, or does he not know how to?
He tries to fly, but he only ever makes it 30cm off the ground. He has no flight feathers and his nest is 10m off the ground. Should ! just wait until he can fly?

·
Super Moderator
6,437 Posts
He tries to fly, but he only ever makes it 30cm off the ground. He has no flight feathers and his nest is 10m off the ground. Should ! just wait until he can fly?

I would try to find a rehab for birds in your area, if you can't find anything like that then I would hang on to the little guy and keep on caring for him until his feathers come in and he can fly. He may keep coming back to your yard after he's fledged and hope you give him more food and that's not a bad thing. In time he/she will have the urge to mate and will start living like a normal bird.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts