Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello I'm new here I'm Iris I'm 18 years old also I'm on the asd spectrum so I have 2 pet lizards and I've had pet birds in the past(two budgies and a cockatiel)and I'm moving into a supported group home/apartment and I might be able to get another pet and I really want a parrot but I'm stuck on deciding on getting either the Dusky Pionus or the green cheek conure I've been doing research on both of them but I still can decide and the group home I'm guessing is like an own apartment but there's a few staff to help me out with daily living stuff like help cooking and stuff and also I work a jobn on the weekends both Sundays and Saturdays and I work 8 hour shifts on both days so the staff at my apartment have to be able to handle the parrot and not get bit so it can't be a one person bird

·
Administrator
6,830 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Talk Parrots ... I love Dusky Pionus and Green Conures both so I see you have a real challenge ahead of you in deciding which beautiful bird you would like.

I think your choice will also depend on how you want to obtain and purchase your new friend .... will you be buying from a breeder and going to see the chick each week and bonding with it before you bring it home? A bird that is young and has grown up around you is much easier to adapt into your living arrangements. A new chick that you are bonded with will be easier to handle for your staff at your apartment building as well.

If you buy a young bird from a pet shop that doesn't actually know you well ... you will need to train and teach the bird to be unafraid of you and anyone else who may have to care for the bird as well. This is a challenge and can take some time when bringing a new bird home that is not use to you.

I hope to see photos of your new friend when you do get him/her. Good luck in your journey to bond with your new birb friend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and Welcome to Talk Parrots ... I love Dusky Pionus and Green Conures both so I see you have a real challenge ahead of you in deciding which beautiful bird you would like.

I think your choice will also depend on how you want to obtain and purchase your new friend .... will you be buying from a breeder and going to see the chick each week and bonding with it before you bring it home? A bird that is young and has grown up around you is much easier to adapt into your living arrangements. A new chick that you are bonded with will be easier to handle for your staff at your apartment building as well.

If you buy a young bird from a pet shop that doesn't actually know you well ... you will need to train and teach the bird to be unafraid of you and anyone else who may have to care for the bird as well. This is a challenge and can take some time when bringing a new bird home that is not use to you.

I hope to see photos of your new friend when you do get him/her. Good luck in your journey to bond with your new birb friend.
okay I checked and there is a green cheek conure breeder not too far from me

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

that same breeder also breeds duskies tho so i dunno from what i've been being told on other forums the dusky pionus tends to be less bitey

·
Administrator
6,830 Posts
that same breeder also breeds duskies tho so i dunno from what i've been being told on other forums the dusky pionus tends to be less bitey
Go see the breeder, look at the birds. Handle them. Ask the breeder hundreds of questions ... you will know once you have had some hands on experience with these new breeds which one will be right for you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Go see the breeder, look at the birds. Handle them. Ask the breeder hundreds of questions ... you will know once you have had some hands on experience with these new breeds which one will be right for you!
so I made a mistake the breeder near me doesn't breed dusky pionus she breeds dusky conures so I'm probably just gonna get the green cheek conure

1 - 9 of 9 Posts