Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How can you tell the ages of Kakarikis?

9K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  catalinadee 
#1 ·
So, I am new to the Kak world and have recently become a slave to 2 of the little beauties.

The male bird I have I know is 10 months as the breeder told me, he is very hand tame.

The hen however, I know nothing about - How can you tell how old they are?

Many thanks

#2 ·
Usually I find that the colour in the babies eyes are a different colour but that often depends on the colour mutation :biggrin5: Glad you joined us for the kaks :p best little birdies ever hehe!

#3 ·
You might want to contact the person you bought the bird from. That is the best way to find out, unless of course they don't know. I'm not very familiar with Kaks, so I can't give you much help there.

#5 ·
My babies usually have black eyes, the adults red. Except for the lutinos :)

#7 ·
Hmmm I'd say she was pretty young, under 12 months, but because it's recessive pied it has more lutino so you might find the eyes wont change :shrug: my Chewee is a dominant pied so he's mainly green with blobs of yellow. He has red eyes though

#9 ·
Kakariki are almost silent. But they're insane little animals. They stay on you for like five mins and then they're like WOOOO! THINGS TO GET ME IN TROUBLE! I have Chewee shower with me though, he's totally calm after that :lol: He did the 'bat' trick the other day all by him self. Do yours have the annoying trait of running furiously back and forth on the ceiling of the cage as quick as they can :giggle:?

#11 ·
Yup! Mine do that hahaha! They're just too cool aren't they haha :lol: got any more pics? I'm craving the, :giggle:

#12 ·
I'll def get some more sorted tomorrow - Bass is fast asleep on the curtain pole at the min and Shandy has decided she prefers Bass's cage - still the bath and salad bowl hasn't been touched. Have had the camera at the ready :photo:

BTW - I love the smilies on this site :D

#13 ·
They're awesome hehe!

And my kakariki always sit on the curtain pole. Chewee wont eat whole salad often except for chunks of apple fitted through the bars. Blend up some fruit and veg into a fine chopped mix, mix some sunflower seeds in there with it and they'll eat it like crazy. Otherwise they throw the fruit and veg half a mile away in disgust :lol:

#14 ·
They're awesome hehe!

And my kakariki always sit on the curtain pole. Chewee wont eat whole salad often except for chunks of apple fitted through the bars. Blend up some fruit and veg into a fine chopped mix, mix some sunflower seeds in there with it and they'll eat it like crazy. Otherwise they throw the fruit and veg half a mile away in disgust :lol:

Thanks for the tip - will give that a go. Shandy was very dignified last night and savoured her salad unlike Bass who wanted to see how far he could chuck it. But she's a lady and he - well he is just a hoodlam :giggle:

#15 ·
Chewee tries to make like a little snuggle thing out of my hair. It's painful trying to pull him off :lol: are you hoping to breed or just keep as pets?

#16 ·
Long time off thinking about breeding I think. I have 11 pairs of budgies I breed at any one time. Been breeding since June last year and so far have had 110 chicks :eek:

Before I even thought about breeding the kaks I would want to know absolutely EVERY thing about them and also make sure the housing section for them etc was 100% as it should be.

I think though even in that situation Bass & Shandy would be house birds.

So not ruling it out ever but certainly not yet for now. Don't know if you found it - but info on Kaks is so limited on the web. Budgies - whole new game, 100's of pages of information available

#17 ·
Kakariki were actually almost extinct, I don't know any other owners in person. I breed them in a flight of 7 foot high, 9 foot long and 4 foot wide in a 'tiel kinda box in a high up corner. They require branches at each end because they love to fly about. There isn't much to know to be honest. They tend to bond for life though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.