Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come some people have female cockatiels that have red cheeks but still have the bars underneath their tails? I thought just the males had the red cheeks! Now I'm confused. My Joey has VERY red cheeks but grey bars under his tail... could he possibly be a she?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
All cockatiels have patches on their faces. Females just have a lighter one if that's what you mean.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I know that but it's really easy to tell with the greys, but like some of them, like mine (meant to be male) has very orange cheek patches but has really heavy barring on his tail

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
18 months now

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
My vet pointed to my 'tiel's tail and said that's how he knew it was a girl, because of the bars or whatever you'd like to call them.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah mine has the bars. I assume Joey is a girl, because when I got him I was really confused by that. Cause I know for a fact that the guys don't being as I've bred them. It's SO hard to tell with the lutinos in my opinion, I'm terrible with mutations

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
So are you changing her name? What about Johanna? ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I Have Bred Cockatiels For 5 Years And Its Doesn't Matter How Bright The Cheeks Are And In Normals Most That Have Yellow Heads Are Males But Not Always Correct Pieds And Lutinos You Can't Tell Except With Behavor Like Males Will Sing Or Talk, Whistle Alot And Females Are Usally Quiet But Some Females Are Loud But The Don't Sing Or Talk. But Females Can Whistle, But More Quiet And Cuddly Than Males. Pearls You Can't Tell Till After Their First Molt When They Start To Loose Their Pearl Markings Then Its A Male Otherwise Its A Female. Normal Whiteface Males Are Grey With White Heads And Females Are Just Solid Grey

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know I know but thanks for the help :) I know with the normal greys it's very easy to tell but this guy confuses me majorly haha!

·
Registered
887 Posts
What colour is Joey, Daisy? I find the most accurate way to sex a young normal coloured bird is under the wings. By normal I mean a normal grey, whiteface grey, cinnamon etc. If you look under the wings the female will have spots all the way up to the equivalent of the armpits and the males will only have them half way up or the equivalent to the elbow. Doesn't work with pieds or pearls. Pied males can still retain some of the barring under the tail as well as spots under the wing. Even with lutino's you can sometimes see spotting under the wing, usually just a slightly darker yellow. If Joey is a normal grey and has a full yellow face then it is a boy and for some reason has not lost the barring under the tail. I have had male pearls in the past who have not lost their pearling until over 2 years. Sex linked colours are often easier to sex if you know the parentage. If you have 2 normal grey birds and you get either pearl or lutino chicks the male is carrying those colours genetically and all the babies of that colour will be hens. Of course this won't work if both parents are that colouring as the babies will be both sexes of that colour. So lutino x lutino will give you 100% lutino. Normal male carrying lutino x lutino hen will produce approx 75% lutino and normal males split lutino.

Joey may just be a very slow maturing bird, that is also possible. But usually with normal grey's they lose their juvenile colouring at between 4 to 9 months. Joey may just be a very poorly marked pied (ie only having a few pied feathers sometimes just on the back of the head) and therefore may still be a male but not lose the bars under the tail.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He's a cinnamon pied, he's the only cockatiel I haven't been able to sex haha!

·
Registered
887 Posts
The pied colouring makes all the difference. Males may not necessarily lose barring under the tail. Pieds are basically impossible to sex visually. The only way you can sex a pied is by Surgical or DNA sexing. You can sometimes pick the sex by attitude and mannerisms. Cheek patches are no indicator of sex at all mainly with pieds and lutino's. One of the first batches of birds that I hand raised was a clutch of 5 Lutino's. Both parents were lutino so the babies were both sexes. The females had just as bright cheek patches as the males. I have had pied hens here with very bright cheek patches. Pied Pearl males can and often do retain some of the pearling on their wings and are still fertile. Normal pearl males lose their pearling when they become sexually mature, it has been found if they don't lose the pearling they are usually infertile. Many years ago there was a strain of pearl males who didn't lose their pearling and were fertile but that strain appears to have been lost.

So Joey could still be a male as the pied gene removes all the usually sex indicators of a cockatiel. With a male when they are sexually mature if there is a female around and it's breeding time the males will start doing their little mating dance. Sometimes even without a female around. They will flatten their wings out (I reckon they look like they are wearing a cape) and dance up and down the perch whistling their mating song. I reckon it sounds like a cross between a donkey braying and a squeaky gate. Females usually do not do this but it has been seen occassionally with very dominant hens, but that is very rare.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help Kate, I wont be sexing him then, I don't care what 'he' is to be honest. I think he's a boy, I assume so anyways, he talks A LOT haha!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.