Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got Cin Cin at the end of December and I imagine she was clipped by the breeder just before being sent to the pet store. She was hatched September 20/2011. Her clip has shown no sign of growing out. She does not seem to have lost any of those feathers yet but she has replaced all of her tail feathers. Is this usual for conures?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Shira took a long time to replace flight feathers after she was clipped, and, yes, she seemed to molt everything else first. She was hatched in May, clipped shortly after learning to fly, and has only been flighted a few months. This was probably just an illusion, but it seemed as if she molted her head feathers twice before growing in those flights.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I don't think Kiki has grown back any feathers since she was clipped when I got her around Christmas. Is that normal?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
My linnie took a full year to regrow her flights after being clipped the year I got her around Christmas, so I think with some birds, it is very normal.

The bourkes grows wing feathers in quickly, but she blows feathers all the time, too. I suspect it varies with species. Alternately, it could be the shape of the birds. Do budgie feathers regrow quickly? Maybe the heavier bodies birds molt differently because of the weight distribution. :shrug: Actually, come to think of it, Doug, parrotlet, is already able to fly everywhere he wants to, and he wasn't even born until the end of January. I think it must just be species by species. Linnies and parrotlets are of fairly similar size and body type, but linnies molt very slowly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, she finally dropped a clipped wing feather today. Nanay, Cin Cin has been a pinhead twice now since I got her!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I think the strangest one is Roni, my senegal. Her left wing has totally regrown all flights - or so it appears, but her right wing has NO regrown flights whatsoever. I've left all the little guys flighted so far. Their attitudes are fine right now, and I have doors to close them off from the dangerous parts of the house. This doesn't mean at some point someone won't open one of those doors inadvertently. I hope it doesn't happen, but it could. Daisy, maxi, was also left flighted because she never tries to fly. I am not sure she can fly. Roni can't fly now because she only has one wing, so we will see what she does once she has two. Ashlynn, my grey, hasn't even begun to regrow any of her flights. Once Ashlynn can fly, I can't imagine myself leaving her flighted, but I will wait and see. Right now, I predict she will just be too big to be flighted in this particular living space. I love to watch the little birds fly. It is also amazing and so sweet when the flighted birds choose to fly over to your shoulder. Little birds rock!!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
My birds can really vary. Tobi my one cockatiels grow back within a matter of weeks and Joeys can take far longer

Reactions: nanay
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.