Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How often should you take a bird to a vet?

18K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  catalinadee 
#1 ·
I know my male tiel pumkin was never taken to a vet by my cousin when she had him. My eldest one that is. I am wondering how often should they be taken to vets?

The good thing is I found out one of our vet's do take birds. But, my mom and gran and I would take them only if they get sick.

I'm just wondering how often you should take them.

#2 ·
Generally, the rule of thumb is once a year for a checkup, just like any other pet. At the very least, you should get all your birds in to your vet at least once that way, if there is an emergency, they have a base-line of your bird in good health to go off of. Otherwise, they're just treating blind and it can cause problems. I stagger my birds - early in the year my Macaw goes in, middle of the year the linnies, end of the year my tiel. That way it's not one huge bill all at once

#3 ·
Generally, the rule of thumb is once a year for a checkup, just like any other pet. At the very least, you should get all your birds in to your vet at least once that way, if there is an emergency, they have a base-line of your bird in good health to go off of. Otherwise, they're just treating blind and it can cause problems. I stagger my birds - early in the year my Macaw goes in, middle of the year the linnies, end of the year my tiel. That way it's not one huge bill all at once
That is true, there,

#4 ·
I think that it's important to go once yearly. At the very least, take the bird in once for a complete well-bird exam: weight, physical exam, bloodwork and disease testing. Assuming everything comes back healthy you know have established a base-line level of health with the vet.

#5 ·
You should definitely take your birds to the vet at least once a year for a checkup.

You should take your birds to the vet right after obtaining them from someone/somewhere else. There's no certainty of their current health after you get them, and it's best to confirm that they are healthy.

You should also take your birds to the vet if they are acting differently or appear to be sick. Make sure you are aware of what your bird is doing and usually does (How much they eat, poop, sleep, things like that.) so you'll notice if those things change at all. Also be aware of any signs that could mean they are sick.

It is VITAL you have your birds seen by a vet.

#6 ·
If you have managed to find a vet for it then yes you should get it checked out.
It doesn't matter whether it looks ill or not. Animals are great at covering up illness and stuff so I think it would be essential to pop in once every now and then. Once a year if you aren't that concerned of the birds health, but I'd pop in once every six months. Also pop in if you cannot trim beaks and claws yourself :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.