Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I visited 2 baby green cheek conures for the first time last night (they are 8 weeks old). I was hoping to walk in and instantly know which one was "the one". That did not happen. I liked them both, but did not feel like I could easily choose one. I am torn because I don't want to rush into picking one, but I also don't want to miss out and not be able to get one at all. The bird store does not know beforehand how many/when they will get new babies. They currently have 3-4 babies, so I am going to visit with all of them this evening. Hopefully I will feel more of a connection to one. I am not taking this decision lightly because I am going into knowing that I am making a 20 year commitment. So anyway, just wondering if anyone had advice on picking a baby bird. :shrug:

PS. the birds did not look as "fluffy" or as big as they look in pictures. Is this just because they are so young?

Thanks,

Stacie

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
When picking a bird you should click with it :) instantly you'll know. And yeah the birds if only 8 weeks old won't look as big at all

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I have one bird that I immediately picked, the instant I saw her. This is my pineapple green cheek. I actually had a deposit on a different conure and they agreed to switch my deposit over to this bird because it was love at first sight. I have loved her like that ever since.

I took a long time to choose my senegal. There was no instant first connection. I visited her for weeks before I decided to get her. I love her just as much as I love my green cheek.

I did NOT want the maximillian pionus. I wanted a dusky pionus. I visited with the maximillian because I wanted to know about pionus personalities as I waited for the store to get in a dusky. They never got a dusky, and I eventually decided I had to have the maximillian. In fact, there is a thread journaling this decision on this site. I love the maximillian as much as the green cheek and the senegal.

Do what your heart tells you. Do not rush, and do not pick a bird until you are sure you want it. It is, however, possible to develop an attachment to a bird even when you don't instantly know that is the one.

I believe that with older birds it is very important to visit them quite a bit before you decide if you are going to click, because they have some established personalities. The little birds who are not fully feathered are kind of similar to one another, and I think it is hard to tell much about differences between them and what they will eventually be. However, if you can go to the store and continue to visit the bird often as it grows and weans, you will develop a spectacular bond even before you bring the bird home. Those bonds are very strong.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
There were four babies (Pineapple Green Cheek) in the clutch I looked at, one was already sold. Libby had the brightest coloring of the four. The bird shop handed her to me and said "walk around with her a while and see what you think". I walked throughout the shop with her, looking at all the toys and supplies, asking her which ones she liked. She looked me in the eyes like she understood what I was saying. It was love at for sight for me! I immediately put a deposit on her, and told them her name was "Libby".

I visited her in the nursery every chance I got, and she came home with me about a month later. She's been the most wonderful bird I've ever had. I guess you could say we kind of picked each other!

Course, I just HAD to buy the toys she showed an interest in and she still plays with them!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the input, I love your stories!

I went back and visited with the rest of the green cheek babies (there are 4 regular and 1 yellow-sided). There is one regular that I think is extra cute. When I visted them yesterday they had all just been fed, so all they wanted to do was huddle in the corner and sleep. So, I didn't get a good feel for their personalities. I will probably go back today :). I am going on Saturday morning w/ my bf and his son so they can look at them too.

On a side note, today is the one year anniversary of the death of my English parakeet, Bubbles. Rest in peace beautiful bird. I miss you and love you always.

~Stacie

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
rest in peace little one :( I too have a budgie called Bubbles

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
When I got Kiki, I thought I knew she was the one because while one of the owners of the Bird Farm was trying to put her in a box so I could take her home, Kiki flew to me and held onto me. Of course it wasn't that nice when we got home. She was a little pain in the rear! ;)

Nanay is right in saying that young birds have not established much of a personality or any behaviors. It's definitely not set in stone yet, although it will be later in the bird's life. (That's when it becomes hard to stop their bad behaviors.)

I really want a green cheeked myself, and I'm sure any bird you end up taking home you'll love.

Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Beautiful! Wonderful coloring!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
awh they're beautiful! I love the yellow-sided one!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I went to a breeder and she had two green cheeks in a cage, a yellow-sided and a normal. I thought the normal was a tad calmer and asked her about this and she said no, they are so young you can't tell anything about their personalities at 7 weeks. So I bought the yellow-sided. He is NOT calm. But he is a real hoot. Had to really work with him on the biting but he is doing so much better and is a lot of fun. He likes to wrestle like a puppy. He starts twisting around then throws himself on his back in my arms and chews on my fingers (not hard) while I tickle his belly and under his wings. If I knew a little more at the time I would not have bought this particular bird...but I don't regret it either. He is great!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have some exciting news! I bought my baby today! It will be ready to go home in 1-3 weeks! I can't wait! :biggrin5: Thank you all for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Great news! You will love the fact that you will get to play with the baby as it matures. Your bird is beautiful. Have you thought of a name?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Congratulations! You're in for a world of fun!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Congratulations! So happy for you :biggrin5:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone! I am so excited and can't wait until my baby can come home. Can anyone recommend a good conure cage? (preferrably less than $200)

~Stacie

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.