Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
****** is going to make it much longer he's always fluffy and just don't look right. I put a thermo perch in the cage because I thought he was cold but I don't think that was the case. I can't take him to a vet either since there is none where I live. :(

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Awh that's really sad :( cover the cage with a blanket or something similar and put a lamp over it if you have one. That may help it. It shouldn't be the cold cause all your other birds are there too. Perhaps its just their time :( how old is he?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awh that's really sad :( cover the cage with a blanket or something similar and put a lamp over it if you have one. That may help it. It shouldn't be the cold cause all your other birds are there too. Perhaps its just their time :( how old is he?
It is covered and here's 3 lights. He's 4 that's how long they are suppose to live so.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I've had budgies around 12 years plus. 4 years is a short life span

·
Registered
339 Posts
I agree, budgies can live for many years..
Keep him away from stress, make sure he drinks & give him extra veggies.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless there scientific proof I doubt they live that long I have a card that said they live 4 years Not 10+ years I find that to be a lie.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I can assure you, a well cared for and healthy budgie can live way over 4 years and I have had my self chicks I have hatched live for longer than that.

And I quote from this website:
http://www.budgie-care.com/budgie-lifespan.html

Budgies today can live for fifteen years or more with the right care. Sadly the average budgie probably only lives for around five or six years. This isn’t because owners neglect them, but because budgie care information isn’t as well known as the care of other pets, like dogs and cats.

Also

http://www.budgieplace.com/faq_lifespan.html

I do believe whatever card you have is in fact a 'lie'

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can assure you, a well cared for and healthy budgie can live way over 4 years and I have had my self chicks I have hatched live for longer than that.

And I quote from this website:
http://www.budgie-care.com/budgie-lifespan.html

Budgies today can live for fifteen years or more with the right care. Sadly the average budgie probably only lives for around five or six years. This isn’t because owners neglect them, but because budgie care information isn’t as well known as the care of other pets, like dogs and cats.

Also

http://www.budgieplace.com/faq_lifespan.html

I do believe whatever card you have is in fact a 'lie'

I never seen it in person or had one so People are known for lying. I still don't believe unless I seen it.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
So okay, I've had birds hatch in like the late 90's and lived until past the early 2000's and the oldest ones I had which were pretty darn old are still alive now at my uncles. And I'm sure other members on here who own them have them over 4 years easily.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So okay, I've had birds hatch in like the late 90's and lived until past the early 2000's and the oldest ones I had which were pretty darn old are still alive now at my uncles. And I'm sure other members on here who own them have them over 4 years easily.
Do you have paperwork to prove it? ;)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I have all of my budgies wrote down in a document as I showed them for a while :)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
but it can't be different in other places unless the care is different... so unless something is different they should live the same. Obviously it's different for wild birds though

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Budgies, on average, live about 5 years, so in that sense you're right Julia, petstore budgies tend to have shorter lifespans because they're not bred well and aren't always the healthiest. However, budgies in the wild and from healthy well bred stock can live 10-15 years. Budgies have just been overbred since the Victorian era (1800's) so it's harder to find healthy, well bred budgies. People in the past tended to inbreed the hell outta them, forgive the language, but that's what it is... so they developed more chronic health problems than they should have and have shorter lifespans. Kind of like pure-bred dogs vs mutts - pure-breds have a tendency to be overbred and inbred to get certain traits, so have health problems.

Basically, what I'm sayin, is you're both right :p lol Budgies can live 10-15 years, but it's not overly common

·
Registered
339 Posts
Still, if none of your budgies are living past 4 years old something could be (IS) wrong..

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sorry to hear that :(
Someone on TalkBudgies posted this, its a great way to look at things:

Simple. I use this yardstick. 1 year of budgie's life is approximately equal to 10 years of human's life.

1. For breeding, the recommendation is 18 months which means the hen is equivalent to 18 years-old human who is reaching adulthood. If the hen reaches 3 years of age, this means a 30 years-old woman will have an increased risk in child-bearing. So the 3 years-old hen will face problems in fertility, complications, risk etc.

2. If a budgie dies at 4 years of age, this budgie is only 40 years-old equivalent to humans. Too young to die.

3. If a budgie stays alive at 7 years of age, this budgie is an old bird with some sort of health problem (if any). An aviary budgie will live longer than a cage budgie in this scenario.

4. If a budgie is still alive at 10 years of age. A 100-years old humans will start have problem with physical movements and the such. I would expect a 10 years-old budgie to have the same complications.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
That's a great way of looking at things Beth

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.