Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna sell all my birds since there probably be better off some where else.
:( Bubbles is gonna die because of me :'( I've never had a bird live over 1 year I'll only keep a couple if that. :( I guess birds aren't for me. :(

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sorry you feel that way. Maybe with less birds it will be easier for you though :)
Hope you can find them good homes!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Im so sorry that you feel like that :( I have got myself a routine as i feed all my pets together

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I'm so sorry, that really stinks.....I don't think you should completely give up, though. Don't your birds make you happy? I think you should give it some time. We all make mistakes, don't beat yourself up for it.

When my budgie Rosco died, I didn't want any of my budgies anymore. I was completely upset and I felt like it was all my fault. But I gave it some time. I didn't make any rash decisions. And now that I feel a bit better, I'm glad that I didn't give up my budgies. That wouldn't have been fair for them, and I like having them here.

But, I mean, if you believe it is best for you..... :shrug:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm so sorry, that really stinks.....I don't think you should completely give up, though. Don't your birds make you happy? I think you should give it some time. We all make mistakes, don't beat yourself up for it.

When my budgie Rosco died, I didn't want any of my budgies anymore. I was completely upset and I felt like it was all my fault. But I gave it some time. I didn't make any rash decisions. And now that I feel a bit better, I'm glad that I didn't give up my budgies. That wouldn't have been fair for them, and I like having them here.

But, I mean, if you believe it is best for you..... :shrug:
My birds would be better with someone else I'm not good at anything.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Don't say that, be positive. But please, give it some time.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
:squeeze: I'm sorry for your loss and your stress. I posted in your thread, about who you should keep... I think downsizing is a good idea, though it's hard to advise without knowing the situation. You know what's best for you and your animals. We've all made mistakes and learning from them and moving forward is the most important thing

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Don't give up on yourself! You lost one bird but hey, I'm still learning new things and I know quite a bit about birds!

I agree with Jenny - downsize your flock, it might help so you don't forget anybody!

Also make a set feeding routine so you don't forget anybody?

How long had the bird gone for without food?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't give up on yourself! You lost one bird but hey, I'm still learning new things and I know quite a bit about birds!

I agree with Jenny - downsize your flock, it might help so you don't forget anybody!

Also make a set feeding routine so you don't forget anybody?

How long had the bird gone for without food?

I usually have a routine and it was only a couple hours. :(

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
It shouldn't die within a few hours of no food! My birds eat up their food in the morning, I take away anything left over (there usually isn't haha!) and I give them their seed in the afternoon/evening. My aviary birds just get the food thrown in for them. I very much so doubt she's died because of your feeding! Honest!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I usually have a routine and it was only a couple hours. :(
A few hours? that doesn't seem right at all :eek: Birds can go a few days without food, as long as they have water. Not that they should, but it usually takes days, if not weeks, for a bird to starve to death.. I would definitely take her in for a necropsy, if you can

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A few hours? that doesn't seem right at all :eek: Birds can go a few days without food, as long as they have water. Not that they should, but it usually takes days, if not weeks, for a bird to starve to death.. I would definitely take her in for a necropsy, if you can
for some reason if my birds don't have food for a day they die it happened to 7 others before

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
That's not right then

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
for some reason if my birds don't have food for a day they die it happened to 7 others before
That's really strange, Julia... have you taken any of them to the vet? It almost sounds like PDD... you got them all, or most of them, at that shady pet shop you were talking about? They shouldn't die from one day without food

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's really strange, Julia... have you taken any of them to the vet? It almost sounds like PDD... you got them all, or most of them, at that shady pet shop you were talking about? They shouldn't die from one day without food
what is PDD?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
aslo forgot to add I got the lovebirds from a different store

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
what is PDD?
PDD is a disorder where birds have issues digesting their food, among other things. http://www.funnyfarmexotics.com/IAS/tpdd.htm Check their poops, see if there's any undigested seed in it. It's contagious through fecal matter which can get airborne, if I'm remembering correctly though they don't know for sure, but if it's treated with special diet and medicine, birds can live a happy, healthy life, although shortened by the disease.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I agree that the bird would not have died from being without food for a couple of hours. If many birds are dying, I would suspect a disease. Can you get some advice from a vet. I would hate to see the birds go to other homes if they are ill. This would only spread the heartache to others.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.