Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 Parrotlets - Kiwi (female and a plucker), Kermit (male) and Angelina (adopted from a friend), plus Libby, my Pineapple GC Conure.

For some months, I have been having problems with Kiwi and Kermit. They are all caged separately and have supervised playtime together. Kiwi and Kermit have become more and more bonded, which would be fine except that she started plucking him, in addition to herself. Or they attack each other.

So I started alternating their playtime, one in, one out. Kermit never plays when he's out. He just clings to the side of Kiwi's cage and chirps for her. When she can, she plucks his chest, and he lets her.

Tonight was the final straw. First I saw HIM plucking his own chest (first time I've seen this). I took him out to take a look and then put him on top of his cage. He climbed, flew and crawled over to her cage and hung on the side. She plucked his chest and then they started feeding each other. This continued until I put him back in his cage.

I'm very distressed that now he's plucking himself too. I just can't do this any more!

I have decided it's time to find a new home for them, possibly with a breeder or someone who rescues P'lets. I just don't know what else to do! This is just stressing me out too much.

Angelina is bonded to me and hates Kiwi and Kermit. She's doing fine. Libby, my Pineapple Green Cheek Conure is doing fine also.

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Jo Anne,

I'm sorry this is happening. I understand why it would be very stressful to you.

It sounds as if you have done all you can think to do and have put a great deal of thought into this. You should do what seems best for you, for the two parrotlets who are having the issue, and for the remainder of your pets.

I wish I could offer you some other suggestions, but I have no experience nor ideas regarding this. I am sure others on the forum have some suggestions, though.

Please feel comfortable to do what you decide is right and to share with us.
:hugs_text:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Oh Joanne! I'm so sorry this is happening!

It was due to overbonding that I ended up rehoming my linnie. She was very protective and aggressive towards us whenever he went near us and wanted to interact with us.

Do what you feel is best in this situation, Joanne. Did you think about rehoming just one of them? It seems that together they might pluck one another. But separate, perhaps Kermit might not pluck himself?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANK YOU SO MUCH, everyone, for all your support and kind words!

This has been quite a day for me! I'm sad, but relieved. I went up to Varietee's ("my" bird shop) this morning and spoke with Tracy, the owner, for a long time. This is where I've purchased all my birds. I hit it at the right time, they weren't busy and she had time to talk. I told her the whole story, hoping she could point me toward a good rescue place or someone who rescues birds.

Instead, she offered to take Kiwi and Kermit, keep them together and see if they breed! She said I could give one or both, whatever I wanted. She said even if they don't, she'll keep them and take good care of them! I was SO relieved and happy. This way, they can stay together and I know they'll get the best care and the best food, etc.

Tracy says she doesn't breed her birds all year round. She lets them have maybe two clutches, then she takes out the nest box. They hand raise and hand feed all their birds. The rest of the year, the breeding pairs still get to be together, but to play and have fun. She says they all have toys and stuff, just like pet birds.

I'm so happy with this solution -- sad they're leaving, but happy they'll get good care and get to be together. I took them to the shop this afternoon, they cuddled and preened each other all the way to the shop.

On top of that, Tracey gave me a $100 store credit!! I couldn't believe it! I said, no, I'm happy just to give you the birds, and that you want to take them, and she said, no, you have a $100 store credit! I hugged her and cried and she whispered that I shouldn't worry, they'll be happy and she'll take good care of them.

I got out to my car and bawled like a 65 year old baby!

I'm so relieved it worked out this way! I'll miss them, but they will be soooo much happier! Angelina (the blue P'let I adopted) is bonded to me and never liked Kiwi or Kermit anyway, so she'll be happy! Libby (my Pineapple Green Cheek Conure) is in the family room, so doesn't have a clue about any of this!

I'm going to take my time, but I plan on cleaning up the two HQ cages. I plan on selling them, but I may keep one and use it as a sleeping cage for Libby. That way, she can get away from the t.v. when it's bedtime. We'll see how it goes. I can still sell it later on.

What a day this has been! I'm exhausted and tearful and sad and happy all at the same time. I'll miss my babies, but I know this is the best for them.

Thank you again, everyone. :)

Reactions: Jenny

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
What a great solution for everyone, Jo Anne. Will you be able to get updates about them?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yes! I get all my bird food, supplies, toys, etc. from them, so I go there a lot. I don't think I want to see them or have them see me, that would just be too hard for me, but I'll definitely keep up with how they're doing.

Once I put them in one of my travel cages for the trip to the shop, they plastered themselves side by side on a perch and stayed that way all the way to the shop. I think they'll be much happier this way, and that's the most important thing.

Boy, what an emotional day this has been! I'm happy, sad, relieved and guilty ALL AT ONCE!!! WOW!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm feeling much better today and feel peaceful about my decision. I just had to do what would be best for them.

I'm in the middle of cage rearrangement. This morning, I decided to move Libby to the larger HQ flight cage that Kermit was using. Her cage is a smaller HQ, about 20x18 (I think) and had a scalloped top. It's big enough for a Conure (surprisingly, they don't need as much room as a P'let!), but I thought since I have 2 extra HQ cages, why not?

I moved the HQ flight cage out to the family room so she could watch me while I worked. I cleaned the cage, removed the perches that were too small for her, added bigger ones and an assortment of Booda perches, more toys, etc. She was real curious about the whole process. I moved her into it a couple of hours ago and she seems to love it so far -- really checking everything out. I think she'll be happy there.

I'm going to move her smaller cage into the bird room where Angelina is and use it for Libby's sleep cage. I think it will be nice for her to get away from the t.v. when it's bedtime.

This afternoon, I plan to move Angelina and her HQ to the prime spot in the bird room, which is in front of the window, so she can watch the world go by. Then I still have to clean Kiwi's cage and get it ready for Craig's List. Anyone have an idea how much I should ask for it? It's in perfect condition, but of course it's used, so just not sure what to ask.

So I'm doing okay and Libby and Angelina are just fine. I wonder how Kiwi and Kermit are doing today, but I know it's too soon to call and ask! My sweet babies......

·
Registered
29 Posts
i am glad things worked out for you and your birdies. i believe in fate and that things work out the way they are supposed to.
there is a plan already in motion, we are just the players.
as for me, i am having the same dilema of sorts.
i had been trying to rehome my 2 keets, when one of them suddenly escaped while i had them outside for some fresh air. (in cage) so now i have one lonely little keet who has his cage all to himself. he loves all his bells in there and is never far from one of them. he likes to stick his head or face in them. lol
anyways, is it better to let him live a life in solitary with his bells or give him back to Petco where he will be in a huge avairy with lots of keet buddies? he is not hand tame. i know they are flock birds and he may have a chance at a new home and new bells?
i am still not totally decided, but i think being part of a flock is better for him them a couple bells.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Jo Anne,
I'm glad you are feeling more comfortable with your decision. I have no idea about the cage price. Sorry

Joan,
I don't have experience with budgies. Sorry I have no idea about that either, but I am certain you will make a good decision for him.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Im glad that everything worked out for you, Joanne.

I would ask for $125 for it minimum. Don't take less then 100

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Ehhhh, it's a standard HQ flight, right? And it's used? They retail for $150 here brand new, so $75-100 is what people would pay, but that's here in South FL. It's different everywhere

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! I've asked $110 and have 2 people interested so far this morning, so we'll see how it goes!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I called "my" bird shop yesterday to see how Kiwi and Kermit are doing. They are doing GREAT!!!! They said everything is going well, so I'm very happy and peaceful about my decision.

I'm a moderator on Talk Parrotlets, and everyone has been so supportive too. ONE person posted this morning that I didn't love them enough and I gave up on them. This brought tears to my eyes, but then I read that 2 members immediately jumped to by defense and told her how awful she was being. Very sweet! I guess I'll have to keep an eye on that thread to make sure it doesn't get TOO nasty!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Jo Anne,
That must be difficult to be a moderator and then have something like this going on regarding you.
I'm happy to hear they are doing well, and, honestly, once they are paired up will it really matter to them where they are? It is not as if they will be concentrating on people. I don't mean to make light of your decision. I know it was difficult for you and you want what is best for them. People even rehome birds and other animals that remain pets sometimes, and even then it can be a good decision as long as the new owners can give the pets what they need. However, in this instance, I think it is even less of a concern because they have one another.
How is the remaining parrotlet doing? I believe you said she didn't particularly like the others anyway.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Joanne, don't let those mean comments get to you. You did what was best for you and the birds in this situation.

I am a moderator at the Linnie Forum and had to rehome my linnie. Ultimately she was depressed and unhappy, and so was Jack. It was a hard thing to do but whenever I get a glowing report from her new owner and see how happy Jack is now without her, I know I did the right thing.

If kiwi and kermit are happy, and you are too, then it's the best thing for everyone :)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nanay - Thanks for your nice comments. Angelina, my adopted P'let is doing wonderfully and has become more bonded to me just since Kiwi and Kermit left -- it's amazing! I've had her with me over a year now and really hadn't made much progress with her. She just seemed to want to be on her own, and yes, she didn't like Kiwi and Kermit much at all!

Then this spring, when Kiwi and Kermit really bonded, Angelina changed and started wanting to be with me, sit on my shoulder, etc. Just in the last couple of days, she'll step up onto my finger very nicely instead of trying to rip my finger apart -- quite a change for the better!

I'm happy I still have Angelina and she's coming around now, plus Libby, my Conure, is a dear sweet bird. They both help lessen my stress and sadness.

I forgot to mention that the owner of the bird shop told me yesterday that Kiwi and Kermit were feeding each other before I got out of the shop on Wednesday! I know I did the right thing for them!

Thanks again for your support.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shandi -

Thanks for your support! It sounds like you certainly did the right thing for your Linnie too!

Gee, I'm 65 years old now, but being a grown up can still be difficult!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
ONE person posted this morning that I didn't love them enough and I gave up on them. This brought tears to my eyes, but then I read that 2 members immediately jumped to by defense and told her how awful she was being. Very sweet! I guess I'll have to keep an eye on that thread to make sure it doesn't get TOO nasty!
:mad: Some people... I'm glad to hear they were so supportive... all the Talk forums, and the linnie forum, are such great communities :thumbsup: I love it!

I'm also glad to hear your parrotlets are doing so well already, too! :biggrin5:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, Jenny! I guess I shouldn't let one bad apple spoil such a great BUNCH!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.