Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner

Indestructible floor surface/mat for under cage?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Mr Peepers 
#1 ·
For years we’ve had problems finding suitable floor protectors to go under our large parrot cage. It used to sit on carpet, which Doris the African Grey loved to chew (and crap on); since a house move from a London flat to an old country house it sits on wheels on ancient floor tiles. Recently I bought a large rubber-backed haircord carpet mat to place over the tiles; it was thick and sturdy enough not to ruck up when the cage was wheeled out of its alcove for cleaning, but Doris liked to climb down the back of the cage when its top was open to chew the edges of the mat to shreds. Now we’re back to using plain tablecloths that the parrots don’t chew but which ruck up whenever the cage is moved slightly. (And their poop is hard to scrape off the irregular matt tiles.) Both birds enjoy shredding plastic, rubber, wood and carpets. Any suggestions for something more indestructible we can use instead? Thanks in advance.
Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Triangle Automotive wheel system

See less See more
#2 ·
Ah the floor dilemma, what to do. I never had chewers and my birds were not the type to get on the floor much either, but the mess was annoying. I would often throw down a painters tarp type of material under the cages to catch droppings or food and then wash them every couple of days. This worked fine for my smaller birds.

Perhaps those interlocking foam mats will work? They come in all sorts of colors and textures and types. Some are rubber some are foam some are made of a durable plastic and some types are waterproof. You can find these online and in most hardware stores.

#3 ·
Thanks for this. I thought of those interlocking squares but have a sneaking suspicion that Doris, who is a bright and enterprising bird, would take great delight in detaching them and turning the edges into rubber confetti. As her previous owner the comedian Ken Campbell said, ‘She makes art out of everything!’ Here they are on YouTube (around 30 seconds long).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.