Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This might be long, so be prepared.

I went to my friends house yesterday morning for the day and to see my new horse. When I got home later on in the afternoon, I went straight to the bird room to say hello to all my birdies like I always do.. I went to the Cockatiels cage first and I seen a *different* Cockatiel, one I have NEVER seen before, I had to look four times in case I was seeing things, and then I said to mum "who's Cockatiel is that?" and she said "what Cockatiel?" and I pointed and said "THAT ONE!" she started acting like she didn't know what on earth I was talking about and I thought one of my Cinnamon Cockatiels got Pearls all of a sudden. :rolleyes: I started feeling like a real idiot. Anyway, she couldn't act like that for long, and told me the story behind Max, the Cinnamon Pearl. (I think?) Yes, Max is a FEMALE.

A Cockatiel breeder (her name is Sue), that lives locally that I know really well came over to my house today while I was out, I bought 2 of my other Cockatiels from her 2ish years ago, all her Cockatiels are beautiful and so well looked after, she's highly recommended.

Okay now onto the story behind Max!

The Cockatiel breeder had sold this very tame and friendly Cockatiel Max, who's 18 months old, to someone who already had a male Cockatiel, they wanted to get into breeding, so that's okay, she sold Max to them and they bred Max and the male Cockatiel, got a clutch and they kept one baby. Well, Max started laying eggs again only this time, the people kept taking the eggs away as soon as she laid them so she was of course laying egg after egg as soon as they were being taken away, they got sick of it and ended up taking Max back to the breeder. They clipped ONE of her wings, which has made her plot to the ground when she tries to fly (I'll let her get all her flights back though, she will never be clipped again), and she's disgustingly skinny because of the continuos egg laying. :( Another thing, she was locked in a cage all the time and is used to being let out, so now she never wants to leave the cage and freaks out if she's not near the cage.

The breeder couldn't keep Max because she has too many birds (Cockatiels, Budgies, Princess Parrots) as it is right now so she brought Max over to my house this afternoon - I wasn't here, but my mum was home and as soon as my mum seen Max she couldn't say no to taking her, she just felt so bad so she said we will take Max and know she will be in very good hands as well as be very well cared for. My mum is a huge sucker, she keeps saying NO MORE birds, but this was different.

Max has had a full check up and tests done by the Avian Vet (same one I go to), and the only issue is she has a vitamin deficiency, but that will be fixed and she won't be breeding ever again, she needs a long rest!

Now onto photos. (I'll get some more as she gets settled in)

PS: she loves head scratches too!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
She is beautiful, and I'm happy your mom fell for her.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Beautiful girl, such a sad story... why on earth would you get a female to breed, then get mad when she lays eggs..? :frown: There's no accounting for some people...

She'll get the R&R she'll need at you home, I'm sure! She's found a great forever home with you and your family :lovehearts:

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm so glad Max has found a good place!:)

·
Registered
502 Posts
She's a cutie and deserves to be with you and your Mom. I think you should make her name a little more female though, like maybe Mattie. :biggrin5:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.