Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I like took my birds out on a cloudy day and it started to drizzle out would it get them sick? I only take my birds out on sunny days Btw.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't think it would, they might enjoy a bath :p
Just as long as they don't get chilled :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
The rain is fine for them. My birds are nearly all outside in aviary and large flight cages and they just love it when it rains. The ones in the closed roof aviaries nearly crack their necks trying to get the rain on them. The large flights are covered for 1/3 where their feed is and as an area they can get out of the weather but the all go to the open wire part when it is raining and sing and whistle and carry on when it rains.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I was unsure whether rain would be safe or not when I first read this post. It's nice to know that it is fine! Although I would prefer to just bathe or spray them with a mist myself, I always know that rain is an option. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always thought it was unsafe but I would be scared they would get struck by lightning.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I always thought it was unsafe but I would be scared they would get struck by lightning.
Lightning is attracted to the highest thing with a charge - usually trees, cell phone towers, power lines, houses, etc. They teach us down here in FL, where lotsa lightning occurs, if you're stuck outside do NOT hide under a tree for that reason, find an open area and lay down on the ground, or in a ditch preferably. If your birds aren't used to it, I wouldn't put them directly out in the rain (especially if it's raining hard) - maybe put them half out? Our tiels lived outside and when it rained we put them on the edge of the patio so the rain, when it came down, bounced off the concrete and made a mist. They went nuts! :lol: I'm sure your birds could go out directly in the rain, with something to hide under if they decided it was too much, once they got used to it.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
That's what I had in mind, a gentle sprinkle. Not when it's storming, though.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lightning is attracted to the highest thing with a charge - usually trees, cell phone towers, power lines, houses, etc. They teach us down here in FL, where lotsa lightning occurs, if you're stuck outside do NOT hide under a tree for that reason, find an open area and lay down on the ground, or in a ditch preferably. If your birds aren't used to it, I wouldn't put them directly out in the rain (especially if it's raining hard) - maybe put them half out? Our tiels lived outside and when it rained we put them on the edge of the patio so the rain, when it came down, bounced off the concrete and made a mist. They went nuts! :lol: I'm sure your birds could go out directly in the rain, with something to hide under if they decided it was too much, once they got used to it.
I wouldn't put my birds in a pouring rain but a drizzle I might try since my birds heard and seen rain just never felt it and my birds love there showers :)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
All of my birds sit out in the rain. They really enjoy it :lol: The only thing you have to watch for with open top aviaries is that the wild bird droppings don't go into the food or water! The open roofed aviaries are 1/2 covered. The birds always sit out in the rain but the food and water is in a sheltered place :biggrin5:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes it is useful.You may understand in this way that how rain makes a man pleasant.
and very rare times a storm can be dangerous because it creates anxiety and behavior problems in birds.Other wise a simple rain is not bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.