Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twitter my Rosy Bourke has indeed turned out to be a "she". I found 2 white eggs in her cage! There was some speculation by some folks (not on this board) that female Bourkes aren't as friendly as Twitter is - but their assumption was not correct!

And here again is my young Scarlet-Chested Parakeet - now officially named Peeper!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
:giggle: Well, that's one surefire way to tell!! Glad you know for sure now! Yay Twitter for breaking the stereotype!

·
Registered
662 Posts
You go Twitter! Bourke's are very much like budgies just not so hyper and loud. My Rosey chews and shreds, she plays she goes straight to the budgie section when she is out. And she flies alot. She chooses not to be a finger tame bird, but has allowed me to hold her several times. She is a Normal Bourke so I can tell she is a she from her markings.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Twitter's behavior

Twitter is finger tame but gets on my finger when she wants to. I like to have her free flying so I usually wait for her to come to me. She definitely doesn't want me to chase her around to make her go on my finger. But she flies over to my shoulder and then I put my hand on front of my face and she will usually hop on so she can "talk" (chirp) with me, face to face - which she will do for 15 minutes or more every day.

She's never bitten me, which is always nice!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I know some other very friendly female bourkes, too. Twitter is clearly very happy with you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My birds

Both Twitter and Peeper (the Scarlet Chested) have turned out to be really nice birds. I was a little unsure about getting them because alot of the books say Bourkes and Scarlet-Chested Parakeets are just aviary birds, not tame pets - but I guess that was before hand-raising became popular. Then after I got them, both were a little older (hand raised but ~ 5 months old and not handled alot) and so they were both a little timid at first. But I work with them every day and both have gotten tamer.

They are fully flighted so they kind of do what they want but both are pretty tame. Twitter has become so friendly I can almost not get rid of her sometimes. She has taken to sitting on my shoulder alot.

Peeper is fairly friendly and will stay with me sometimes - especially if his cage is not in view - but he hasn't really bonded to me yet, like Twitter. Peeper has become alot steadier though. He's flown to me only a couple times so far but I'm hoping he will come around with time and be a little bolder. Unfortunately, Twitter often chases him off me, when he is sitting on my arm. Twitter is definitely the "alpha" in this little flock.

When I let them loose in my sunroom with my Ringneck Doves, they enjoy the free flight time but both parakeets spook the doves a little. I think they appear to be little hawks! But gradually, they are all getting used to each other. I sit at my little table in the sunroom with millet sprays, hemp seeds, and cooked sweet peas in front of me and that brings all of them in for snacks. One dove at least will eat next to Twitter. The other doves wait for the parakeets to finish and leave before they fly over. The doves are friendly too and usually sit on my arm or shoulder after eating.

I also have 10 finches in cages on the opposite wall, adding to the birdiness in the sunroom.

Of these, only the Java Sparrows get free flight time because they understand about the window glass and return to their cage.

Here are my Gouldian Finches - they bred for the first time last year.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Oh, I love your Java Sparrows! The local pet shop has a male/female pair, the male is very lightly pied, the female is white... $39.99 each!! :eek: They were $80 and the price keeps dropping... I want them so bad! :giggle: I just can't convince the parents to let me have more birds lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
As you can see...

As you can see, I went a little nuts with birds - I have quite a few now! The advantages of owning your own home!! But the 18 X 20 foot sunroom really gave me the space for birds - and plants - my other hobby. Without the sunroom, I wouldn't have so many birds.

My Java Sparrow pair can't figure out how to breed, for some reason. But that's OK because it's hard to give up babies sometimes. I know I have to probably sell or trade my Gouldian babies but I have a hard time giving them up! I used to let my doves breed but it was heartbreaking to sell the babies to a bird dealer - they would give me hardy anything for them and some were so nice and tame - but no one answered my ad to buy them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I love your sun room. I want to get a sunroom one day. My birds would love it. I have a birdroom which is actually a spare bedroom and it has large sliding glass doors that the birds can look out of and a lot of light comes in too.
A sunroom would be neat. Is it cold in there? I noticed some heaters next to the cages. Great photos. How do the Javas sound? Do they sound like a canary or finch. Do they sing or chirp? Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Sunroom and Javas

The Sunroom came with an AC-unit that also heats but I rarely use it. Instead I try to warm up the corner where the Gouldians are, since they like extra heat. I live in Delaware so we get some winter cold. When it's really cold (like nights in the teens), it takes 2 portable radiators to keep it warm in there (60'F). For most of winter, 1 radiator is enough, I just got some extra electric baseboard heating behind the cages so I may not need the portable radiators next winter.

Javas sound like... Javas! Neither finch or canary like. Here is a YouTube of one. Search on YouTube for more - you will see that they are popular pets in Japan.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XqtCh5_qv4&feature=related"]YouTube- Test Movie(Java Sparrow)[/nomedia][nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m9l03sHTtE&feature=related"]YouTube- Ono singing.[/nomedia]

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Ron,
Thanks for the links. The song was so pretty I had to listen to them more than once.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.