Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been looking for bird number 2 for a while now. I have a grumpy little parrotlet at the moment and although he seems happy in his own little way, he's hardly a social bird. So after many trips to see many birds I found a green cheek conure that seems to be a little sweetie. I went to visit him/her a few times and it seemed like it could be a good fit for us. So, I brought the husband with me the other day to see how he felt about it. He was somewhat indifferent to parrots because he finally admitted he was scared of the conure I had when we got married and terrified of the African grey who now lives with my cousin. So I handed him the GCC and could tell he was just waiting for the bird to go into attack mode and draw blood. When it didn't he relaxed a bit and held it closer to him and the bird crawled up his shirt and perched on his collar under his chin. He had never been that close to a bird before and within minutes when I asked him what he thought he said "this bird is so awesome. I'm sold. Let's get it". So we bought it and will be bringing it home in about 2 weeks or so.

I hope it stays sweet and cuddly because to see my husband actually like a bird was so great for me. Granted, I'm the one who wanted it for a birthday present but it really makes life easier when the spouse is okay with the idea. I'm getting the cage ready and crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
WOW!!!! That's AWESOME!!! You are going to LOVE having a GCC! I'm SO happy for you! The next two weeks are going to DRAG by! Can you go and visit him during these two weeks? That should help. I visited Libby every few days while I was waiting for her to get weaned.

They can be sassy at times and want their own way, just like people, but they also are the most cuddly, entertaining and wonderful bird I've ever had! (Guess you heard me say that before, right?)

I also have a Parrotlet, adopted from a friend over 2 years ago. She'll be 4 in December. She isn't at ALL friendly with Libby, BUT since Libby has joined our family, Angelina has finally really bonded with me. She'll even let me rub her head now! She's not as interactive as Libby, but for a Parrotlet, she's come a long way!

Can't wait to see LOTS of pictures of your new GCC! Have you been think of names??? Getting the cage ready will help pass the time too.

WHAT FUN! Welcome to the GCC CLUB!!!! HORRAY!

:cngrs13:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wow, congratulations! I have to tell you that I Conures are my absolute favorite species for a companion bird. I own and love a Sun Conure, the love of my life!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Congratulations on your choice of bird. Just keep working with him and don't ever let him intimidate you and all will be fine. I hear about the terrible two stage they go thru and am hoping Cricket will fly thru that with out a bump in the road but i know we can handle what ever comes along. When he crawls down on my chest he wants me to cup my hand over his back and give him scritches. And when he does that my heart just melts everytime. Oh and when he is on your shouder and he snuggles his head in your hair, you will just get all tingly with conure love you will just want to buy him a whole closet full of toys like Jo anne has. ;)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Congratulations! I'm glad you found a green cheek that both you and your husband like.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Congrats, and Welcome to the GCC club. I have only had mine a couple weeks, but he has been the perfect addition to my life. I can't wait to see pics. How old is he? Can you go and visit him? It is going to be a LONG 2 weeks, but setting up the cage and getting toys will make it fly by. A first thing to buy is a Happy Hut/Sleep Tent. Maxx loves his, he takes a few naps a day in it, and by 8p climbs up in it to go to bed for the night.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Congrats on your new baby! There is nothing quite so remarkable as having a bird that loves you! Your husband will be hooked. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. I used to have a white eyed conure so I know how feisty they can be. I love conures though so I'm sure it will be a lot of fun to have one in the house again.

The next 2 weeks will probably drag a bit. It's a bit of a drive to go and visit, about an hour, but I hope to get there at least once or twice. We are going away for a few days so that'll help pass the time quickly. Funny how time flies when you're not at the office.

I am hoping that when my p'let finally sees me with another bird, after quarantine time, that maybe he'll change his tune a bit. If not, no biggie, he's still cute even if he's not very outgoing.

Pictures. Yeah, I suppose one of these days I need to sit down and figure out the whole posting pictures thing. Of course that means I need to actually take some too. I'll try to remember to do that.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I feel very left out now but congrats :D

I really really want a green cheek and I am very much so considering getting one within the next 6 months perhaps. I'll see what happens with my bird room and see if many of my babies that I've bred recently go. I'm planning on a new bird and I'm very much so hope it is a GCC. I would love one. I'd like to know all about them when you get them :D

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
DO IT, Daisy!! You'll love a GCC!! (guess I'm biased, right?)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I really want to hehe. And Squiggy is an adorable name :D

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
that picture is so cute!

·
Registered
152 Posts
CONGRATS! I have a parrotlet as well, and he's a sweetie. I've fallen in love with the gcc personality! I'll be getting a yellowside baby soon and I can hardly wait! Good luck!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went to visit the other day. I'll be bringing him/her home either Saturday or Monday. The cage is set up and ready. It was funny last night to hear my husband say he can't wait until there's a bird in it. I wonder if he'll still be feeling that way after the first screeching outbursts because let's face it, there's gonna be more noise in the house. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I bet you can't wait :D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Maxx has been very quiet. 2 outbursts in 3 weeks. He lets out a squawk once in awhile for no apparent reason, other than that he has been great. One of the outbursts was durning a huge thunderstorm, and I think that was part of it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.