How big are they
What is there diet and what they feed on
Are they noisy/ do they talk at all
Will they get along with my cockatiels

Google is no help at all

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Daisy has them. I believe there are some others on here with kaks, too. I've seen them in pet stores. The ones I've handled in pet stores have been VERY active. One talked a lot, and clearly. The others did not talk. It seems to me they are close in size to cockatiels, but Daisy has both, so she'll give a more accurate answer on that.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Hey nanay, thanks for that, I feel famous, not only yesterday was I on TV but I was mentioned on here too :cool::rofl:

http://www.talkparrots.com/showthread.php?t=1375 I did make quite a long thread on them but I don't think anybody read it :shrug: but hey, it does give quite a lot of info and all the bits in red are the main thing you need to know.

but if you don't wanna read that I can tell you here anyways...

They're roughly the same size as a cockatiel but they're pretty bulky, kinda like how an amazon is about as long as some parakeets but it's a lot bulkier... but yeah they're roughly the same size, some can be smaller (the females often)

They eat the same stuff as tiels which would be useful for you! Just the usual parakeet seed mixes and plenty of greens and stuff, my lutino Flash LOVES oranges but nothing else, they all have their own tastes, like any bird really. But they can be pretty picky, with the seeds you give them make sure that you take out a lot of the sunflower seeds 'cause believe me, if there is enough in there they will only eat the sunflower seeds and not the rest, and they'll get fat! And you don't want a bird with fatty liver disease!

I've only ever had one noisy one and he was LOUD, but I've never had a problem before, they don't scream like tiels but they make this really fast clicking sound and they mew a lot. Like they mew all the time, but hardly ever make any other sound. They can talk, but I'm pretty sure it is only the males that do, and when they do talk they're pretty clear.

I have never mixed them with cockatiels, but I can imagine as they're so fast they can get out of any situation quick, but if one is angry, it is ANGRY

Reactions: nanay

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did read it ;) so they are very much like a cockatiel but quieter lol my tiels ARE quiet hardly make a sound :(, The ad does say 2 males are for sale
How much do they talk or they the same as a tiel again

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
pretty much everything about them is the same as a tiel. You have to keep in mind that not every bird will talk, I've had many birds known for talking who have never spoken and I have had some birds not known to talk much, talk a lot! Are the ones they are selling hand tame or not?

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I doubt they're hand tame then XD but they're still wonderful even if they aren't! You gunna get them?

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
well I've had 6 so far haha, they're one of the most amazing birds I've ever kept!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If they are so much like the tiels then it shouldn't be a problem
My boyfriend wants a talking one, his friend has an amazon :rolleyes: lol
They have got a new cage and give me their old one

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
they would LOVE that, kakarikis love to climb around and there's plenty of space, I vote get them both :lol:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Daisy,
What were you doing on tv?

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
The ad doesn't look bad, they don't get much detail and their spelling hurts my eyes of the word Kakariki :lol:

and Nanay, there is a Cadbury's chocolate thing on around the country at the moment for the 2012 olympics and they're touring the country trying to get people to break world records, I made a bed in just over a minute but I did all the buttons up when I was only meant to do six :eek: so if it wasn't for that I'd have beaten the record AND I have however beaten the record for making a bed with all the buttons :rolleyes: I was on these huge TVs and I had photographers everywhere and I even had an interview! It was so horrible, what with me having anxiety attacks and all that... it was quite funny to watch me on the big screens almost having a heart attack :giggle: it was good fun though!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Oh and the average kakariki lifespan is 8-10 years but I fail to believe that as they have been known to live around 20. If they're cared for really well they can live for a pretty long time!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That be fun to watch... Really 8-10 years wow thats good to know :)
I have found that in many ads they dont give really much detail :(

·
Registered
993 Posts
Lol What do you mean Daisy? making a bed with buttons, why are there buttons on a bed, and lol Im the same I hate large groups like that it freaks me out. You should put the video up I wanna see this bed making buisness lol.

Ohh and I like your posts on Kak's its very informative, I musta missed it before

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
8-10 years does seem very short in my opinion. I mean they're pretty big bulky parrots!

And Jessie, the bed covers had buttons on the end of them, like to go over the quilt, and they close at the ends? If I can find a video I shall look for it :lol:

And haha thank you!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.