Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here keep these?

I've never heard of them before but just came across some for sale and was wondering what they're like to keep.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I don't keep them, but I do think some members do.

I've seen several. They are very active. They can talk quite well, and some don't talk at all. I cannot emphasize enough that they are ACTIVE. lol

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
My understanding is they're very active chatty little birds who do best in aviary situations, but at the least require a flight cage and a lot of space and activity. However, I've never owned one so it's hard to say :giggle:

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is a site called kakariki.net where you can ask questions and search the forums :)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I own three red-fronted kakariki but did have five.
They're extremely active! If you keep one in a cage it needs to be able to climb and climb and climb! They LOVE hanging upside down and running upside down too. I have only ever have one (male) who has even spoken and the most he could say was hello.
They have wonderful personalities but demand a lot of attention and so need to be constantly played with etc.
I have a breeding pair outside and they mix well with other birds although we did try the 'tiels and they were just pushed around and bullied.

They are unbelievable loving little birds and I would say that they are some of the sweetest little things ever!

They come in all kinds of colour variations and mutations. I've got a lutino with black eyes and white wing bars, a cinnamon and a dominant pied. I used to have a standard green and a lesser pied.

They act more like monkeys than birds!

Reactions: nanay

·
Registered
25 Posts
Daisy, they sound like a lot of fun! Have you ever had Superb/Barrabands?

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Oh I have never owned any myself but I've had the chance to handle them. They make such cute noises hehe! I would possibly consider getting one or two if I knew more about their personality but if it is similar to the kakarikis then I'd probably love one hehe!

·
Registered
25 Posts
True, the make sweet noises! I've never gotten to handle one but I've seen videos on youtube. I think I might enjoy having them myself. :biggrin5:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
There's about five of them for sale in a place close to mine and they seem pretty lovely. They're quite big too. Most of them are still in their young plumage which is cool. Only problem is they don't know which are male or female yet haha!
They seem quite nice to have. They're selling here for £130 I think, how much would you have to pay?

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Here's one of mine! He's stunning hehe. Picture was taken in the first few days of training, hence the cage being there still

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very brilliant colors on your baby!
Actually, I don't know what they would cost here :shrug:You can always look on http://www.birdbreeders.com/ . I have looked on there before because daydream about what my flock will be like when I can have more birds :p
I live in Alaska and it's not very easy to find a wide variety of birds here. Not a lot of people breed birds, partially because of the climate, I imagine. I got my two lineolated parakeets from the lower 48 states. One I had shipped up and one I brought back with me when I was down visiting.
By the way, is that a hybrid hyacinth in your profile pic?

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Hehe yeah you can't see it very well in that pic but he has a BRIGHT yellow tail and various yellow spots on his back. It's really cute.
Wow that's such a long way for your birds to go and I bet the shipping isn't cheap!

Yes indeed! The macaw in my avatar is probably one of my favorites, I have never ever seen it in real life. It's a really unusual colored hybrid and it is a *drum roll* Hyacinth x Buffon's. I think it is stunning. They call it the emerald macaw. I hope more people breed them as I would love one. If nobody is breeding them in the future I will try my best to hehe :p
Here are some pics:

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfids/2990836698/"]Emerald Macaw - Maxi | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfids/2989982637/in/photostream/"]Emerald Macaw - Maxi | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfids/2990836436/in/photostream/"]Emerald Macaw - Maxi | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

another really odd and remarkable hybrid has to be the galatiel haha
[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfids/2989890169/in/photostream/"]Galah x Cockatiel - Galatiel | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

so awesome!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Ah I don't know why but none of the pics above seemed to have work. Bare with me and I will upload them haha!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
There we go
sorry about that haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.