Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kind of Pellets?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Sensfan 
#1 ·
Just wondering what kind of pellets you feed your birds. I have 4 birds. I had 2, a senegal and pionus on one kind (forget the name offhand) and I recently bought a linnie who was on a special home made kind of pellets that the breeder makes. Then I bought a greencheek who is on Zupreem.
I don't want to be buying 3 different kinds of pellets so I have to decide on one. I checked out the price of the Zupreem yesterday and they seem quite expensive.:eek:
So I'm just wondering what you use?

#2 ·
Our larger guys (grey and conures) are enjoying ZuPreem's Natural Diet, large parrot size. Our conures won't eat smaller pellets. The large size has been no problem for us. They all like that we get them their pellets from the same container. Our guys know when they've been slighted, and obviously if we're giving someone something they did not get, what they were offered is sub par. That is a grave injustice that will be met with much screaming until it is rectified.
Our budgies eat a different pellet (can't remember the name ATM, ZuPreem... small fruity ones with little flower shapes).
It took us a long time to find a pellet all of our larger guys would eat. Now that we have, I hope it lasts lol.
:thumbsup:
Good luck!

#4 ·
My birds hate Harrisons. The Zupreem Fruit flavored seems "fake" smelling to me, so I don't use them.

My favorite are Roudybush crumbles, which I offer to all my birds, from the canaries, budgies, 'tiels, Bourkes, Linnies, Meyers and Parrotlet to my Blue Crowned Conure. The larger birds eat the oval sized Zupreem natural too, but for convenience sake, I get bulk sizes of the Roudybush crumbles and add it to all of the seed mixtures.

Since my food bowls are generally just dust filled by the following day, I can assume that all of the birds are consuming the pellets.

Also, I have stopped adding vitamin supplements. I do add other supplements (such as kelp, bee pollen, etc.) but not high potency bird vitamins as there have been several reports of over supplementation resulting in kidney and liver issues.

#5 ·
Also, I have stopped adding vitamin supplements. I do add other supplements (such as kelp, bee pollen, etc.) but not high potency bird vitamins as there have been several reports of over supplementation resulting in kidney and liver issues.
Also, from what I've heard, the complete pelleted diets are complete for vitamin intake, so it is bad to offer anything in addition. I've also heard you shouldn't mix different complete diets together, for the same reason? :confused: Not 100% on that!

#6 ·
I offer Zupreem natural pellets in cockatiel size to my two birds.

If your birds are eating pellets, I wouldn't be offering high potency liquid or powdered supplements specific for birds. The exception to this are the natural supplements like kelp, bee pollen, flax and hemp seed, etc.

I too have heard it is bad to offer a mix of pellets brands. Ive read that there is the risk of over supplementing and what not

#7 ·
Interesting about mixing pellets. I had not heard that before. Good info to keep filed away in case they rebel against a shared brand again and I need to buy different ones. :thumbsup:

I agree, the fruity Zupreem's smell fake and kind of gross. So far it's the only one the budgies will eat. There's really no accounting for taste with those 2 :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.