Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m thinking of getting another bird and was wondering what are the differences between Linnies and Cockatiels?

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
The differences are about as many as you'll find between two different types of parrot.

Linnies are smaller, quieter, and although cockatiels are generally friendly, even less likely to bite. They're better talkers, as far as clarity goes. Cockatiels are champion tune-whistlers and a bigger bird if you want that.

You'll really have to read up and find some youtube videos to get an idea of how they compare.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Actually I'd consider a linnie to be more "parrot-like" of the two, given their mannerisms, vocalizations, and use of their feet. Actually, I'm not sure why linnies are even considered parakeets like cockatiels and budgies.
Just seems to be a misnomer as people can't seem to get the parakeet definition set in stone. (if it was really all about the long tails, Macaws would be parakeets and that just sounds funny).

·
Registered
277 Posts
I understand your indecision. I had 2 budgies and decided I wanted another small bird other than a budgie and just like you it was between a linnie and a cockatiel. I ended up with a linnie but I had such a hard time locating one to buy that I was on the verge of getting a cockatiel. But thanks to divine intervention, a linnie sort of fell into my lap, and I have never been sorry.
I think they are both great pets. One thing I needed to consider is that cockatiels are a lot more dustier than a linnie and I have family with allergies. So a linnie was actually the best choice for me.
Good luck with your decision. I think you would be happy with either.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I love them both. Cockatiels are a favorite of mine, but they do have that powdery dust to put up with, that means a lot of air cleaners. Do research and figure it out, I'm sure you will make the right choice for you and your family.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Linnies and cockatiels certainly are both wonderful pets, but there are some differences. Cockatiels are better whistlers, but can be much louder when they want to (in contrast, linnies are very quiet except when it comes to anxious contact calling). Cockatiels also have the powdery dust that others have mentioned.

Both of them are very docile, but I would say that a cockatiel is much more likely to bite than a linnie; linnies are naturally much sweeter, and are so unique (and almost unbelievable) in their extremely loving nature.

·
Registered
327 Posts
i love tiels more than linnies, mine was obsessed with feet, sang the tequila song, was a seagull, said pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty ........................boy., and fell in love with our dog, and thought he himself was a dog.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Wow... I always thought 'tiels weren't biters!
Some can be ferocious! I had a nine-year-old cockatiel who "had his ways" and human interaction wasn't one of them. :lol:

He would bite your finger off if he could... but I still loved him and kept him for all those years. He was a great pal to talk to, whistle with (he was a phenomenal whistler) and just have around. :p

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have 9 (might be 10) and out of the 10, 8 of them DON'T bite. The other two are aviary 'tiels who are being tamed down right now.

I think you should do research on each of them then see which one you would prefer. If you get a 'tiel, I'd suggest getting a female, you could always get a friend later if you wanted to, perhaps a male. I love both the males and females, the females are more laid back though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It is not common for 'tiels to bite. They are naturally very sweet birds. Even my not tamed bird, will not bite me. Not even if he's afraid or if I'm coming too close.
Lovebirds are biters, Tiels really aren't!

I would get a tiel! :p but I don't really know how linnies are.. I don't have personal experience with them. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tiels tend to cost less to buy and are easier to find.

They do tend to be dusty which a lot of people find triggers allergies. They are very much like their bigger cousins the cockatoo in that they love to cuddle and they do need some of that everyday to thrive.

I don't know much about Linnies I have only seen one up close but from what I have read they make good pets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.