Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
((almost the same post on the Linnie forum- sorry!))

So at the moment I have my little ratties, but I was thinking that I would like to try something a little different when they pass on (which shouldn't be for a while- they're not even one!). I like to gather a lot of information and research everything to death, so here it goes. Bear with me please :eek:

I will be living with my roomate in an apartment that isn't terribly or terribly new- so soundproofing is at a minimum. My roomate also isn't a big animal person, but she doesn't mind them as long as she doesn't hear them. Or hear them often. So right away I decided on a smaller bird, for that reason plus others. I have experience with macaws, conures, p'lets, budgies from my boyfriend's family, but I have never owned birds myself, so I think I would also feel more confident with the littler beaks :lol:.

So I have kind of narrowed it down to a bourke's, linnie or budgie. I was wondering if anyone could kind of give me a comparison of these guys? I'm looking for a bird that relatively quiet, or at least not going to be screeching many times throughout the day. But I also want to be able to interact with my bird. I want to be able to touch her and have her want to be with me and play with me.

Also, what makes a bird "cuddly"? I've seen a lot of talk about cuddly birds, but they all seem to refer to the larger birds, and I was wondering if any of the birds I mentioned would be considered "cuddly"? I know each bird is unique in her personality, but just overall, general charcateristics. I like a bird that's active, but not necessarily one that needs to be constantly entertained- she can sort of play by herself on a play stand for a bit too!

Oye! okay, that seems like a lot, and I'm really sorry! I'm just an information fiend!
Thanks for your patience! :lovehearts:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Parrotlets are or can be playful and are very quiet compared to most birds. Bourke's are super quiet and friendly but I would not call them cuddly. Conures are cuddly when they aren't chewing on you!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Well, if noise is the ultimate factor, Bourkes. However, they have a tendency to be shy, and a little hands-off, so I think a linnie would be a good compromise. Budgies can be very friendly too, if you can find someone who hand-feeds... they aren't loud, but make constant chatter

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm.. this is good information!
Thank you all!
Now I know I didn't originally include p'lets, but I've been doing some researching, and they look like so much fun! I've had a bit of experience with them, my boyfriend has a pair. But they're more bonded to eachother and want nothing to do with us humans. Also, they're beside the budgie flight, so they're contantly chattering and squeeking because of that.
But would I be (somewhat) right is thinking that in a quiet house as a single bird they would be quiter? How do they compare with the linnies/budgies?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Single parrotlets bond very strongly with their owners and, if hand fed, are SUPER snuggly! They are also independent, feisty little things :giggle: The males can be good talkers - my mom's says "pretty bird" "birdy birdy" and "hello" along with 3 different kinds of kiss noises, and he laughs! They can be a little nippy, that comes with the attitude. They have the ultimate little man syndrome - lots of bird in a little body! Noise level? On par with a linnie at the loudest, but like budgies, they make a little more constant noise. Mine peep a lot, literally, a peep! When they argue, it can be loud... let me see if I can find a video of them making noises for you. If I do, I'll post a youtube for you!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
OK here are some videos! :giggle: This is Midge at her loudest, 'attacking' a toy! Anything that jingles (bells especially) must DIE!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSkbcp3mEj0"]YouTube- midge toy kill[/ame]

And this is Midge being snuggly and adorable! Giving kisses and making kissy sounds, as well as making her normal peep :thumbsup:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iskzccM_WZ4"]YouTube- midge kiss[/ame]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hahahaha! My, my.. what an evil bell!!
And the cuddly video is just soo adorable! She has cute little peeps!
Thank you so very much for sharing them with me!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Parrotlets are darling birds. I have a little boy. He is quite tame, and fully flighted. he enjoys zooming around the room, chirping and peeping with absolute joy. He also loves sitting on my shoulder and cuddling in my hair... and he is huge fan of scritches! lol!

When we had Jack home for 6 months he was extremely quiet.... except once a day he would screech loudly, or during his favorite music... or if someone crinkled newspaper or a plastic bag (this puts him into a huge screaming chirping fit. LOL!). Then suddenly at 6 months he found his voice. I would compare his constant chirping to a budgie, but his voice is much more sweet and pleasant. I find budgies to be annoying, whereas Jack isn't. At his loudest, Jack can be quite ear piercing and annoying. Thankfully he's not extremely loud very often.

Parrotlets are quite fiesty, as Jenny mentioned. They have been described as an amazon in a little body. And they most certainly fit up to it with all their personality and spunk. They may be little but they have just as much pizazz as the big guys

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I think I tried to answer this question on the Linnie Forum, but I don't think the answer actually posted. I don't know what happened there.

I have a bourkes and a linnie.

I am told that my bourkes is atypical of bourkes. I cannot be certain that is true because he is the only one I have ever had. His clutch mates are all very similar to him. He actually belongs to my nine year old daughter.

He is very tame and bonded quite strongly to us. He comes to us from his cage or from his play stand. He enjoys being petted, and lets us pet him for as long as we want, but only in the direction that his feathers grow. He says "Step up" and "Pretty." He plays on our shoulders and in our hair and on our hands. He is not the least bit afraid of hands. He is trained to go potty on command, and if you are diligent to put him over the potty area often enough, he will potty there and not on us. Even if he potties on us, it is very small and easily cleaned off. He plays with toys, all kinds of toys. I am told that most bourkes do not play with toys, but we have never given him a toy that he will not play with. He also goes inside a sleeping tube, which bourkes are not supposed to do. I could not ask for a sweeter bird. He has never biten, although I do not think he could hurt us if he did bite. He has acted like he wanted to bite, but if you put your finger in front of him and say, "Step up", he will step right up and act fine. He will come across the table or cage, step up, and turn around in a circle for a piece of oatmeal. He learned each of these tricks in a couple of very short sessions, and I am certain he could be trained further, but my daughter has not attempted to teach him anything else. I know he sounds too good to be true, but this is really the personality of my bourkes. I can take him to school and he will go to any of the kids. I have thought seriously of looking into getting him certified as a therapy animal, because he is wonderful with strangers.

I am told male bourkes make more noise than female bourkes, but Stanley's noises are never annoying. His song is pleasant. He does start singing before the sun is even making a slight light, but it isn't loud enough to wake me up, and he is in my bedroom. I can only tell you about this because I often am awake then myself. He also sings after the sun has set. He will make more noises when his environment is noisy, but even then, he is never loud enough to be heard through a wall. I cannot hear him if I am in the adjoining room.

If someone came with a gun and asked me to choose between my bourkes and my linnie, I could not decide which one I like best, but, in your situation, given the fact that your roommate is very sensitive to noise and you live in an apartment, I would recommend the bourkes over the linnie. My bourkes is as fun as my linnie - but, remember, I am told my bourkes is unusual. Also, if you do decide to get a bourkes, definitely get a handfed one, preferably one just weaned. We actually purchased our bourkes while he was still handfeeding. He was in a bird store, and we could visit him while they were still handfeeding him. We visited him for weeks in the store, so this is perhaps why he is so interactive. If you can do that, it would be even better.

Bourkes are beautiful, quiet yet melodic, sweet, friendly, trainable, and interactive. They do not have an unpleasant odor, and they do not have a lot of dust. They can talk, though most don't. More males talk than females. They are also much less expensive here than linnies are. They are easy to feed, too. Stanley eats pellets, seeds, vegetables, and fruits.

Our linnie is actually every bit as gentle as our bourkes. She was handfed, but over eighteen months old when we got her. She has never once attempted to bite anyone. She also plays with all kinds of toys, comes to us from her cage or the play stand, is trained to go pooh on command, and can easily be taught tricks. There are many ways in which the way she plays is more entertaining than the way the bourkes plays. She climbs anything and hangs upside down and by one foot. The bourkes does not even climb cage bars at all, and he never hangs upside down. He will let us hold him on his back, but I don't think he really likes it. The linnie will hang upside down from our fingers and lay on her back in our hands, and she seems to like it. She holds toys and food in her feet, which is beyond cute in a bird so tiny, but the bourkes does not hold anything in his feet. She talks much more than the bourkes. She says more phrases, and she talks ALL THE TIME! She says, "pretty bird", "hi sweetie", "hello", and "peek-a-boo". She says other things, but I can't understand them yet. Her talking voice is actually very low and sweet, and cannot be heard in another room. However, her contact call is loud enough to be heard through walls, and the pitch annoys many people. She does not contact call often, but she could, and if you got a linnie that called a lot, I am afraid your roommate would be quite upset. She also makes a lot of other pleasant noises. Only the contact call is unpleasant. Actually, her contact call doesn't even bother me, but I think it would bother your roommate, and perhaps other apartment dwellers. Some linnies make the call much more often than she does. My linnie also happens to be leary of hands, and I gather that is common among linnies. She does not really like to be petted, although she will sometimes tolerate it if I hold her so that her head is against me. She will sit on my shoulder for long periods of time, run around near me, go back and forth from her playstand to eat and drink and then back to me. She is very, very sweet. She is my son's bird, and I could not ask for a better bird for him. He likes to have her hang upside down and do similar tricks.

I am not telling you that a linnie would not be a very enjoyable pet. I love my linnie. I enjoy everything about her. I am simply suggesting that since it seems that noise is a big deal for you, I would always have to say that a bourkes is going to be quieter than a linnie. Either species may not be as good a pet as my two are. Many bourkes are known to be less interactive than mine, and many linnies are known to be more aggressive than mine and/or more vocal. However, the one thing I can guarantee is that a bourkes is not going to be louder than mine is, and that seems to be a major point.

My bourkes and linnie get along marvelously, so if your roommate would later be willing to have a noiser bird, you could probably keep both a bourkes and a linnie in the same home.

As long as you get a young hand-fed bourkes and you interact with it regularly, it should be a sweet pet who wants to be with you. It may not play like our bourkes plays, but it should still be fun to interact with. You will develop as good a bond with the bird as you put into it.

If you do decide to go with a linnie, they are also marvelous birds, and they do play in many different ways. I would recommend, if you decide on a linnie, that you look around and find one that is older, preferably over a year, that is known to be quiet. The reason I say this is that a bird that is quiet at that age is more likely to remain quiet. We can never predict what they will become as they go through puberty, but a bird of over a year of age will have shown what it is likely to do.

If the noise things becomes less of an issue, then pick the one that interacts with humans in the way that seems most interesting and fun to you - be it bourkes, linnie, or anything else.

As far as I am aware, there is no bird species that can be considered less offensive in the noise department than a bourkes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Word of warning about Bourkes!

Just a word of warning about Bourkes... They are "crepuscular", meaning they are naturally active at dawn and dusk.

This is great for the average pet owner who works during the day. My Bourke "Twitter" wants to come out in the morning before I go to work and in the evening, when I get home - even as late as 11 p.m. if I am up watching TV. BUT, she does chirp a little in the morning at dawn. It's not real loud as parrots go but it is chirping - and if your roommate likes to sleep late and if this bird will be in or close to the same room, it may be something to consider! But like Nanay above, I don't mind the chirping - it depends on your roommates "sensitivity" I guess. I also have a young Scarlet-Chested Parakeet who is quieter but he is very new - at the shy stage - so I don't know how friendly or noisy he will turn out to be, though I know they are on the quiet side.

As for the cuddliness, my Bourke isn't real cuddley, like she wants me to hold her in my hand and be petted - but she is very friendly and wants to come out and be with me when I am home - if you read the posting about "rosa bourkes" you will see my comments about taming and bonding with her.

Twitter my Bourke Parakeet

Here is a male Scarlet-Chested Parakeet photo I found on the internet. My young male doesn't have these beautiful colors yet - but he will soon. I found my young hand-raised male for sale on Craigslist, of all places! Still can't think of a name for him....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! Thank you so so much everyone for the awesome answers!

Twitter: I have been diligently following your Rosa Bourke threat, and the progress you have made is incredible! Also, the scarlet chested in stunning! I have never seen such a gorgeous parakeet!

nanay: your comparisons are very insightful, I thank you so much! Both your linnie and your bourke's sound darling!

And now I'm in a pickle! Of course, I don't really need to be making a decision anytime soon, but it's tough to be in limbo with such adorable options to choose from!
Would anyone with a linnie and parrotlet say that they would be comparable in the noise department?
I know I'm putting a lot of emphasis on noise, and I know all birds are noisy.. but I'm just trying to be sensitive to my situation when the time comes. However I do still want a bird I can interact with an play with, so I am leaning more toward a linnie or parrotlet- but bourke's are not completely out of the picture yet! Ahhh.. back to the drawing board! :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was thrilled to find this thread because I'm reseaching Bourkes myself. I have been a member of the Linnie Forum for 2 years and while I LOVE the look of linnies and the description all over the internet, I have read many threads about "loud linnies" and biting and of course the poop thread they have going :yikes:! I want a linnie so badly but have concerns about the messy poop and the loud contact call and I can't seem to just take the plunge and get one. :shrug: That has led me to researching Bourkes and trying to see if they would better fit what our family is looking for. We currently have 2 male budgies and have never owned anything but a budgie before. I have found someone that is handfeeing bourkes right now so that is fueling my renewed research into them.

Are they dusty birds at all? Are their droppings loose like a linnie or more solid like a budgie?

For me, parrotlets are too loud. I actually held one at a local bird fair today and the bite was razor sharp which just doesn't work since we have 3 kids.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Actually, if you like linnies and parrotlets better, you should go with one of those. Getting a bird you don't really want isn't going to be satisfying. The breeder may be able to direct you to one they think will remain quieter. I find that if they talk, they screech and contact call less often.

My splendid is louder than my bourkes and make more overall noises, all of which are songlike and pleasant, but NOT at dawn and dusk. He could be covered and would not start making noises until after the cover was removed.

I didn't mention him previously because splendids had not been mentioned, and I haven't had him very long. His fear stage was much more difficult to go through than the bourkes' fear stage was, but he emerged as friendly. His natural fear reaction is to fly off, while the bourkes natural reaction is to freeze. I am certain this is because they are colored so differently. He is more playful than the bourkes, but does not like to be petted as much. He is probably also somewhat atypical of his species. Only the males develop these stunning colors. The females are quite pretty to look at, but have green chests and only a small amount of blue on the head and wings.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Droppings!

Birdinn,

Bourke droppings are small and similar to Budgies. I would guess that a Bourke is more like a Budgie (and is more physically compatible with Budgies) than a Linnie or Parrotlet. Bourkes are not "dusty" like Cockatiels.

My only worry with a Linnie or Parrotlet as companions for Budgies would be that they are probably capable of hurting Budgies with their more powerful beaks, if they got in a fight. I personally would not cage them together with Budgies, unless I was really sure, though they would all probably be compatible as friends when outside their respective cages. A Bourke, on the other hand, could probably handle a Budgie and vice-versa, even if caged together. Then again, not all Budgies get along - so I guess you have to approach caging any birds together with caution - and always start a new bird in a separate cage.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
My only worry with a Linnie or Parrotlet as companions for Budgies would be that they are probably capable of hurting Budgies with their more powerful beaks, if they got in a fight. I personally would not cage them together with Budgies, unless I was really sure, though they would all probably be compatible as friends when outside their respective cages. A Bourke, on the other hand, could probably handle a Budgie and vice-versa, even if caged together. Then again, not all Budgies get along - so I guess you have to approach caging any birds together with caution - and always start a new bird in a separate cage.
I would never house a parrotlet with another species, and even be very careful with introducing a second parrotlet. They're fiesty, territorial little buggers :rolleyes:

Jazzy - if it helps, when my linnies or parrotlets make their loudest noises, I can only just hear them upstairs in my house and we have all hard wood/tiled floors. When we had carpet, you could barely hear them at all. Linnies are quieter all day, mostly making little giggles and mumbles, but have a louder contact call. Parrotlets cheep and chatter more, but their loudest noises aren't as loud as a linnie. With parrots, unfortunately, there is no such thing as quiet. However, comparatively, both linnies and parrotlets are quiet species. My linnies contact call is about the volume of our cockatiel, but with a little less power to it, if that serves as a decent comparison.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I used to have both (no longer have the linnie(, and found for the most part my parrotlet was louder .... but that said the linnie contact call can be quite loud. Both birds chattered and chirped throughout the day, with the parrotlet varying some soft chirps to more louder budgie like quips. Whereas the linnie stayed at the same tone all day... with the exception of the contact calls. Though Callie rarely contact called.

As Jenny said, for parrots, linnies and parrotlets are quiet species but since they are birds, they do make noise. There is no such thing as a quiet bird. lol! All will chirp and sing at varying levels.

Malori, where do you live? I see you mentioned Ontario. I live in Kitchener. If you live nearby, you are more then welcome to come and meet my parrotlet and get a feel for what it's like living with one :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just wanted to say that I found this post VERY informative :)

I live in an apartment over a business so I have to be very mindful of the noise level (volume). Thankfully things worked out quite well when I had my PFLB, Beetle and now with my little brotogeris 'keet, Pickle. While I'm perfectly content having one parrot to care for I can't help but want another. And since I have no intention of moving (or buying my own place) anytime soon, I'm somewhat limited as to what to bring home. Which is fine: I seem to be drawn more to the little 'uns than the big 'uns ;)

Both lineolated parakeets and Bourke's parakeets have come recommended to me over the last few years. Some days I lean more towards a linnie, other days I lean more towards a Bourke's. I honestly don't think that I could go wrong with either but I think that if I want to be on the safe side, a Bourke's might just be the right fit... Of course, tomorrow I'll be saying the same thing about a linnie :p

Anyway... I'm really no closer to making a decision today as I was yesterday. However, I do feel that I came away from this post with a lot more to think about... and that is a good thing :D

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Elisa,

I'd like to know more about brotogeris, but I don't think they are even available in this area now. They must not have sold well here, or something.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Elisa,

I'd like to know more about brotogeris, but I don't think they are even available in this area now. They must not have sold well here, or something.
I'll definitely do a write up on them for the forum!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.