Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new to this forum and i recently brought home a lovely lory. (Who is now whistling for attention.) i got him/her on the 12/1/2011. He/she doesnt bite and is abit scared of hands. but will perch on the forearm or wrist. :lol:. I will get him/her a larger cage in a few days, he/she is still abit babyish, he/she still has a little black on his.her beak.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Congratulations on getting a lory. You seem to be making good progress with your new bird. I commend you for the fact that you are allowing your bird to perch on your forearm or wrist since that is what it is comfortable with.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Hey black caps are gorgeous birds. Good to know all is going good. I'd love to see some pictures :)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
:welcome: to the forum! I would love to see some pics of your new baby :) Lories are such fun, sweet birds! So full of energy! Their diet and liquid poops make them tricky for a lot of people tho. A breeder I know hangs clear shower curtains on 3/4 sides of the cage, about a foot off the side of the cage, and puts a curtain on the floor, to catch most of the poop they squirt out the side :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Pictures, please! ;)
Glad your progress is going well. Too bad about the way they poop! :lol:
Be sure to update us on how everything is going.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, thanks. :). He doesnt want to perch on my arm anymore but he is singing alot more. :lol: he is trying to say hello. :biggrin5: I will try to take some photos. :photo: :photo: :photo: :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Awh keep encouraging him to sit on you though, you don't wanna lose his trust. But that's real sweet about the singing :lol: and thanks, everybody on this forum really likes seeing pictures of everyones flock, so seeing a lory would be nice, I don't think many people on here have them, I know one who has lorikeets, but you may be the only lory owner I've seen on here

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He/she likes to have me around, If im doing my homework next to his/her cage, he/she would wat out. He/she would come out but no physical contact. he misses me when i walk away to do something. i try not to go back because it would be a bad habbit for him/her

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Yeah it would develop into a habit. Just keep trying to get close and stuff, try using millet etc for them to step up onto your hand. What have you named it :) ?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Welcome :)
I'd love to see your Lory too!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
That's a great name!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, i just finished cleaning his cage. and he/she wasnt that scared of my hand this time. he/she would just stare at it and when he would try to nibble it i would tell him not to. :) i put him back in the balcony where he sleeps. And he is screaming for attention. >.< :eek: He/she is using a whistle that i kept repeating to him! :lol:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I love that name, and the bird is beautiful. Also, good thinking on teaching the bird to whistle something you LIKE as a contact call. :thumbsup: You seem to be getting along very well.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Awh he's absolutely gorgeous! I really like him. You're so lucky! Thanks for sharing :) and teach him to do the wolf whistle haha!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Beautiful pictures! It's great your progress is going well. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, today ive made good progress. I put some honey on a slice of apple and i told him to step up on my hand. The closest he went was when he put one foot on my fore arm. he desereved that honey apple! :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Positive re-enforcement is by far the best way to do it!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.