Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twitter, my Bourke Parakeet, has really come around, as far as taming goes. I haven't really done anything to make this happen, other than work with her every day and sometimes hand feed her millet spray or hemp seeds. But basically, my "work" consisted of just opening the cage door and letting her fly around. She's getting quite brave and friendly.

We have a daily ritual of me opening her cage door and she flies into the livingroom and sits with me while I watch TV. Originally, she mainly landed on my knee but lately she flies right to my shoulder and just hangs out for as long as I let her.

When my contractor Dave stopped over for a payment (he's renovating my kitchen), Twitter even landed on his head all by herself!

This is alot different from when I got her last October, when she'd sit on my finger for a 10 seconds and fly right back to her cage.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Thats great news!

I knew Twitter would come around! She seems really friendly now!

Great job!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks - yes, she's gotten totally friendly. She's like as tame as I'd want her to be... and she's fully-flighted, having a ball flying around.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
This is wonderful, Ron. How does she like having the scarlet chested around?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Twitter and the Scarlet Chested

Twitter is a little aggressive towards the Scarlet-Chested Parakeet. She will chase him away, when they are out together. I've tried having both on my arms with millet spray but eventually Twitter chases him off. I don't know if it's because she's bonded to me or she is just chasing away the more timid juvenile bird, which he is.

On his own, he's actually fairly tame already. He will sit with me for 15 - 30 minutes at a stretch, with or without millet. So I think I need to give him his own taming / bonding time with Twitter in her cage - which she doesn't like! The new Scarlet-Chested has yet to fly to me but I think that will happen before too long.

Both birds are fully-flighted and know how to fly back to their cages, including back into the house from the sunroom, which is always nice - but if the Scarlet-Chested flies in Twitter's cage by accident, he is in trouble - Twitter chases him right out! In fact, Twitter is about as bold as any Budgie now - she now loves to sit on my shoulder - so much for my fears that she would always remain timid!

This photo is of my Scarlet-Chested a few weeks ago - gotta take more photos of him and I need to name him too! He will be spectacular when he gets his adult colors!

·
Registered
339 Posts
They are both beautiful! :)
Wow, sounds like taming is going great!

Did you notice in the first picture how the woman is looking up at Twitter? I had to laugh at that!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did notice

Did you notice in the first picture how the woman is looking up at Twitter?

I did notice that after I took it. I have other photos of Twitter watching the olympics!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.