Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...What do you all think of Peach Faced Lovebirds? What is your general opinion on them? How would you compare them to cockatiels and budgies?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have two peachfaces and they are noisier then all my budgies combined and they are loud even at night that's why after mine go I'll never get lovebirds again. :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Does anyone know about differences in the species of lovebird?

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know too much about them. I might be getting one on Monday instead of finches when I go to the Bird Farm. So I really just want to get your guys' opinions before I go. I know the basics. And loudness will not be a problem for me, although I'll only be getting one anyways.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Does anyone know about differences in the species of lovebird?
if you breed them you not suppose to breed other then the same mutation peachface with peachface fisher with fisher masked with masked
if you breed like say a peachface with a fisher their babies will be infertile. or any other combo. other then that I'm not sure what you mean. :)

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's really interesting, I did not know that. However, I don't plan on breeding them. (I know you were talking to nanay.) Other than the Peachface, what is the most common mutations? And I still am looking forward to hearing lots more people's opinions!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'm sorry my question was unclear. I meant was there much difference in personality between the various species.

It was news to me that the babies of the hybrids would be infertile, but I know with many hybrids the babies aer infertile. That was good information.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nanay, are you saying that as a fact? Or are you asking if the different species have very different personalities?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I was asking what, if any, difference in personality there is among the various lovebird species.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah, okay. I wouldn't think there would be too much of a difference, although I'm not sure. I know all lovebirds are quite energetic and active.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I've kept peach-faced, masked and fischers. If you wanna ask any Q's fire away. I have noticed that with the peach-faced they are slightly more destructive compared. They adore ripping up paper and one of mine used to wear it hehe!

I have not noticed much difference in their personalities, they're lovely to breed but I find that the males can sometimes be highly agressive towards their offspring and so we ended up removing the males until the youngsters had flown the nest :thumbsup:

Reactions: nanay

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's Daisy to the rescue!! :lol:

Okay, here are some questions I have before I go into the Bird Farm tomorrow:

1.) Peach-faced Lovebirds are the most common and readily available, so would they be the cheapest? (On the Bird Farm website, it lists "Lovebirds" and then says "$79/$99" and I'm assuming those are prices for different types. I'm hoping the $79 type is the peach-faced, would you agree?)
2.) Which would you prefer? A female or male? Right now I'm leaning towards male, but I would like to know what you think.
3.) I've heard lovebirds do not get along very well with other pets or other birds. Is this true? How would a lovebird react to a budgie or cockatiel?
4.) I know there are the birds that can be friendly and tame but don't particularly like touching, and then there are the ones that love to be cuddled and touched and stuff, are lovebirds more of the cuddly kind?
5.) Although we will be switching to pellets in about a week, we have seed right now. What kind of seed will a lovebird eat? Does it have its own seed you can buy at stores or will it eat a cockatiel mix or a budgie mix? What is best?

That's all I can think of right now, I'll tell you if I have anymore questions. Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Erm that could also be for the mutation of love bird. I would say otherwise though that that would be a peach-faced most likely.
I would prefer a male, when I had a female alone all it did was get broody all of the time, I'm sure it doesn't apply to all of them but it happened with mine haha
A lovebird can be pretty mean towards other birds but not always... sometimes I find that they can be bullies and tend to feel that they're pretty big when they're tiddly things haha! [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgXqlbOtJuc&feature=related"]YouTube - Quaker Parrot and Love bird giving kisses and saying"oh yes"[/nomedia] I saw that though and thought hmmm, quakers bullied the others, so did lovebirds, this video makes sense XD
Erm lovebirds do like a cuddle every now and then, they LOVE to get into your clothes and hide hehe! They love the little happy hut things you can buy too. They generally like plushy things hehe! They can be cuddly but at the same time very fiesty.
I fed mine on parakeet mix (cockatiel basically) and they did fine on it!

Reactions: nanay and Abby

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, okay! Thanks, Daisy, that was helpful.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
It's okay haha! I do like lovebirds! My first was a female who was lutino with an almost red face and a green/blue tail. She was really cool hehe! She passed from being egg-bound :(

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stupid egg-binding. It causes so many problems. :(

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
You wouldn't believe how many of my budgies have died from it too :(

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My 'tiel had problems with it, I'm sure you remember from my other post about her.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Yeah :( it's horrible

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's why you need to make sure birds are getting enough calcium, definitely when they are laying eggs. You must go out of your way to ensure they are actually eating cuttle bones and mineral blocks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.