Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovebirds

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  catalinadee 
#1 ·
So my friend was meant to be getting a mixed aviary but instead she fell in love with something else.

We were browsing for birds for her (I've been teaching her well hehe) and we came across an advert and she couldn't resist. We're picking them up on monday.

Basically we're getting a male mauve masked lovebird like this...

and a female creamino peach-faced lovebird like this...

the reason why I'm telling you all about this is because we're kind of BOTH the owners... like she will be moving back to Australia in a few years and I'll obviously be taking them for her and stuff and when she has to visit over there they will come to mine etc. She may not end up moving over if she decides to stay here but either way we're getting them.

At the moment we're just trying to think of names ^^

See less See more
#2 ·
we've decided to call them Blackjack and Picasso :p

#4 ·
I knowww I can't wait :D I might be getting them today and if not today then 100% tomorrow ^^

#8 ·
Thanks guys :)

Blackjack is actually a dark factor white faced violet lovebird.

They aren't hand tame, well they are now. I've spent all evening with them and have found them to be the sweetest birds ever and they've never been handled. BJ gave me a pretty awful bite when I first got him out the carrier but he's all cool now. They have such different personalities. Picasso likes to go go go and run around, hang upside down off fingers etc and generally be a bit crazy. Blackjack is like, a pain to come off the cage but once he's on you he wont get off, he's a real cuddle bug. He loves to snuggle up to you under your chin or in your pocket and let you give him tons of love and scritches. Picasso just decided to hang off my hair while I'm writing this and it hurts pretty bad :lol:

I'll upload some pictures later. Picasso has quite a nasty mark on her beak (well a scab) because they were kept in an aviary with Indian ring necks, 4 of them(!!!) and one sadly bit her face, so the name is a little bit ironic at the moment being as we hadn't seen her before hand. The man knew what he was doing and he had fantastic aviaries. I just didn't understand an aviary with a few pairs of lovebirds, 2 pairs of IRNs and a pair of red-fronted kakarikis! All 3 species are known for aggression to other birds.

I'll upload pictures when I am home :)

#12 ·
hehe thanks guys! They are! Picasso never stops and Blackjack wont leave me alone, like I move away and he's under my chin again. No matter where I am he finds me

#13 ·
Congratulations! They are beautiful.

Does BJ have a bruise on his beak, too? In one picture it looks like he might. Will the beaks be ok?

#14 ·
Thank you :) !! Yeah Blackjacks is nowhere near as bad as Picassos. He has a slight scratch but hers is like a big gash :( its very nasty but yeah they're fine, they're healing great! Silly ringnecks. Apparently that was why he was selling everything but the ringnecks, one of his masked lovebirds was killed by them while they were breeding!

#17 ·
I know Jenny I've been looking at it loads :/ if it doesn't grow back then looks aren't everything haha. The guy said it was looking tons better than it had been before and either way I still love her. I'll try and see if I can get something for her. She's still super hyperactive and stuff and it hasn't even stopped her in the slightest. But thanks guys :D

And ooo Phoebe congrats! You'll love them :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.