Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got Maxx a few foraging toys to see how he will do with them. The first is just a simple lift the top and get a Nutri-berry. He didn't seem all that interested in it, but yesterday he started playing with it. I showed him the treat, and he tried and tried and couldn't get it. Today I showed him the treat, put it in the cup and within a few minutes he had figured it out. He was SO proud of himself. I waited a few hours, filled it again, and instantly he was enjoying his treat.

I then tried the triple cup. Just filling the top one. It took him all of 5 minutes to get the treat. Tomorrow I will try it with all 3 cups to see if he can get all of them.

Here are a few pics.

The first toy I tried, since it wasn't clear, he had to look from above to see the treat. I added the bell to this as he LOVES bells.

The Triple treat cup. I think Joanne said this was one of Libby's favorites.

Maxx enjoying his treat out of the top cup.

He LOVES his toys, and keeps himself quite entertained.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
those are awesome :D he looks like he's having fun

·
Registered
519 Posts
Those are fantastic toys! Some of my favorites! Foraging is the best kind of play we can encourage as it helps prevent behavioral issues down the road.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Great job, Maxx! He'll catch on really fast now that he's got the idea. They get smarter and smarter about foraging and don't forget how to work a particular toy once they learn it! So smart! Plus a busy bird is a happy bird!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I loaded up the triple cup toy this morning, with 1 Nutri-berry in each cup. He got into the top cup in like 20 seconds. He keeps going back for #2 and #3. I am glad he is enjoying foraging and caught on quickly.

He really loves playing with all his toys, its nice he can entertain himself. Except for a couple outbursts he has been a very quite bird. He makes tons of little noises, usually grunts, and other cute sounds. I think since he has things to do, he doesn't need to be squawking. He is also not alone very often. When I am at work, my partner is usually here and Maxx has him wrapped around his little foot too.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
awh Bob he sounds like a real star

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Success, He got #2 tonight. I opened it up a couple times and showed him the prize. He kept at it, and finally he was enjoying his treat. I think the third cup is going to take awhile, but I also think he will keep trying until he gets it. Cup # 1 is a joke to him, he gets that one in 5 seconds.

I have also started saying "make Poopie" before he comes over to me. I think he knows what I am talking about as he has pooped the last 10 times before I will let him come and hang out.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Bob - You've got a smart birdie for sure! I'm so happy for you!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
What a bird! The bottom one is the most heavy too! That one took Libby the longest too, but once she got it -- she zips through all three in no time!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.