Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read some articles about certain metals, specifically zinc. Does anyone know what kind of problems zinc can cause our fids? Can exposure lead to death. I read that some toys/chains on toys are chrome, which has alot of zinc in it in some cases... anyone know how to tell what is what without doing the chemical tests? These things worry me cause some toys don't say if stainless or chrome is used. Thnks <><

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I don't know how to tell the difference. I have just been getting everything from the bird store thinking that it would be ok if it came from there. I would like to know how to tell the difference, myself. I hope someone can answer your question. It is something I need to know, too.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Zinc exposure is fatal, long term. Very slow death... I don't know of a good way to test for it, however :/

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh my, makes me want to take out all metal clasps etc. ... start using leather string or something...

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
For the most part, as long as it's a big brand or a company you trust? It's safe. I've only heard of problems with the cheaper, cruddier brands (mostly cages) out of China. As of right now (mind you it's been a year since I've been out of the pet industry) there aren't any brands I know of which are giving problems as far as zinc

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I was just reading about birds and Zinc. Thinking about it, I would really hate to accidentally have my birds die because of it while I was clueless...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.