Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody here bought spray millet with mites in it? I once did, and now I'm nervous about buying millet again. The mites got in all the food and I was forced to throw it all out.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I didn't know mites could live In millet I buy mine and never had a problem then again I treat my birds every few months. :)

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard about it on TalkBudgies. How ironic, the week after I had heard about it, I got them. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
You don't have much luck with the bugs do you?:lol:

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for noticing, Daisy. xD I'm like a magnet to them.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I can see you under a pile of bugs sobbing :lol: I hate them. If you say 'spider' to my boyfriend he freaks out. I love it when they're on tv, and he's whimpering and I quickly jab him in the ribs. He cries XD

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha! Reminds me of Ron. Has he seen the second Harry Potter?

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Yup makes him freak out XD I have a soft spot for Rupert. I'll never say that again XD

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hahahaha I used to have a little crush on him. :lol:

Now I've got a crush on Hermione. (I'm not bi or anything, she's just BEYOND cool.)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
See I personally can't stand her XD

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Her new hair makes me wanna punch her more :lol: oh well. If you love her then you love her!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do love her. She and I are getting married. :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Congrats! XD

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
*throws confetti*

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Thanks for noticing, Daisy. xD I'm like a magnet to them.
Freeze everything before you give it to the birds - at least, all seed and pellets. It's safe for the food but kills any bugs. I freeze any food I bring in to the house from a pet shop for 24 hours before giving it to them :thumbsup: No bugs here! And I speak from experience having worked in a pet shop for 2 years, it's almost impossible to keep up with all of it and even though we were 90% sure we had no bugs in any of our product, we still advised freezing since it has to go from the factory to a warehouse, to another warehouse, to the shop :rolleyes: You never know what may get in there!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
That good Jenny. I hate bugs so much, I've never had any thing in birdie seed though! :biggrin5:

Reactions: Jenny

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anybody here bought spray millet with mites in it? I once did, and now I'm nervous about buying millet again. The mites got in all the food and I was forced to throw it all out.
------------------------------------------------------------

Mites are species specific...meaning that they live and thrive on birds, and can not live/thrive on something organic like millet, because it does not have the heat source they need.

What can happen is some type of larve and bugs that eat grains may have been on the millet. If eaten by the birds they are not harmful, and are actually a source of protein. To humans they are just a nuisence, and most times freezing any millet, seeds, or grains will kill the eggs. larve and bugs.

What can be problematic with millet can be fungus. This can be seen by shining a blacklight over the millet. If there is fungus on it it will glow a white color. Fungus can be harmful if eaten.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.