Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up our Lutino yesterday. She is 9 weeks old and her name is Taiyo. She was lovingly hand fed and hand tamed and immediately fit into the family. BTW we didn't quarantine because Millie and Niblet spent two weeks at Ineke, the breeder's place in January while we were on holidays. Taiyo (sun in Japanese) was being hand fed as was her brother, Java, a mauve/slate. Ineke hasn't had any new birds since then except babies.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
How cute! They are so pretty together :lovehearts:

It's great that they are all friends! I think Taiyo is such a lovely name!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree, Taiyo is a very pretty name, I think it fits her perfectly. What a beautiful flock and how awesome that you didn't need to quarantine! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, Taiyo is a very pretty name, I think it fits her perfectly. What a beautiful flock and how awesome that you didn't need to quarantine! :thumbsup:
Thank you. I think the name suits her too. She has her first vet 'well birdie' visit tomorrow. :yesnod:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'm happy for you all that she is now home.

·
Registered
339 Posts
She is beautiful! :)
I love their different colours ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Niblet - one of the best names ever! I've always thought that would be a cute name for a bitty parrot.

LOVELY flock 'o linnies. I'm so jealous!

Reactions: Sensfan

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Niblet had ANOTHER surgery

Niblet fell into the dishwasher last October. He was bandaged for several weeks and then he had surgery to close the wound, stitches. The fall broke wing and tail feathers so he can't fly. Three weeks ago we took the birds to the vet for a 'well' birdie visit, nail cut and feathers trimmed especially for Millie, our little flying devil. During that visit they discovered that Niblet's wound had reopened. After bandaging for two weeks they decided more stitches would be the answer. He had the surgery today and is now back home and safe but in pain. To make matters worse we had to wake them up to give Niblet his pain medication at 10pm, we did it at 9:30.

He can only have his pain medication every 12 hours so it could take four days to fit it into his sleep time... 6:30pm to 7:30pm.
Does anyone with experience know if I can cut the time down faster. The pain killer is meloxicam.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Linnies!

I must say - those Linnies are gorgeous. I wasn't planning to "branch into" them but I might have to! It's nice there are alot of small parrot choices. Personally, I think small parrots usually have nicer lives with us humans because we can give them more space and exercize - especially when we let them stay fully-flighted. I would imagine that it's alot trickier to have a fully-flighted macaw or cockatoo loose in your house!

Sorry to hear about your Linnie's accident. I had a pet dove break his wing flying into a glass door and need surgery so I am familiar with this. One thing I found out with my dove (from a friend who does animal rescue) - apparently birds in pain may stop eating or not eat enough - I ended up having to tube feed him because he was losing weight. I think he was on the same pain killer as your bird but he still wasn't eating enough (however he was a young bird recently fledged - so maybe not eating so well anyway). In any case, make sure Niblet eats!

"Pecker" the Ringneck Dove, after his accident:

"Pecker" today. $300+ later, the vet was able get him flying again - and he fathered 7 babies since the accident!

Reactions: Sensfan

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice Ron. I have been watching Niblet closely and although he isn't eating as much as he usually does, but he is eating.

Niblet's vet bills are edging $1.5k. His breeder, Ineke, calls him the million dollar linnie. :lol:

Your pigeon is beautiful. Is he tame?

·
Registered
160 Posts
My dove

My Ringneck Dove, Pecker, is very tame and will perch on my arm or shoulder and hang out there for hours, if I let him. I have 3 other doves and they are tame as well. Ringneck and White doves (color varieties of the same species - Streptopelia risoria) have been in domestication for over 2000 years and are very gentle and easily tamed. Doves make great pets and get along with my Bourke and Splendid Parakeets, when they are all loose in my sunroom.

Here is my White Dove, Tricksy, who was formerly owned by a magician.

White Doves should never be used for "bird releases" because they are completely defenseless in the wild and also have no homing instinct. Releasing them is just a death sentence. If people want to release "doves" at a wedding or funeral, they should hire a service with trained White Homing Pigeons, that are much more "street smart" and will safely fly back to their loft without incident. Domestic Pigeons are a completely different species (Columbia livia) but white pigeons look alot like white doves, except for being larger and heavier bodied.

Reactions: Jenny

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Thanks for the information, Ron. I know nothing about doves. This is good to know.

·
Registered
160 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.