Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any of you tell me the types of interactions your mini macaws enjoy having with you?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Goober loves snuggling, and wrestling!! The Hahn's Macaw we had loved to just be on your shoulder, chattering away, dancing and interacting, with the occasional head scratch which was demanded by a pinch to the ear or neck :giggle:

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
How do you guys like mini macaws compared to other macaws? (Just out of curiosity)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Abby: I find that mini macaws act in a very similar way really. I have found though that with some Hahn's macaws they can be a little bit shy, I don't really know though. I'd rather have a normal macaw personally but hey, I'd like one of everything so I'd take a mini macaw if I had the chance. I love yellow-collared macaws :biggrin5:

Nanay: I have found that they don't seem to be extremely cuddly but they do want to play a lot. They (as Jenny said) love to wrestle with you!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Oh, okay, thanks! I'd probably want a normal Macaw as well.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I do love mini macaws don't get my wrong! I would just like a big cuddly baby :D

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Hyacinths sound so cool. I visit this one at the Bird Farm all the time. They are such gentle giants, heehee!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I want one :(

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Hey there's plenty at that Bird Farm ... why don't you just pop one under your jacket and run!? XD

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So are you all saying that the larger macaws in general are more cuddly than the mini macaws? Are you saying that the minis like to play but not cuddle as much?

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
That's what I've personally found yeah. Were you planning on getting one :) ?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, I am not planning to get one. I did consider an Illiger's about a year ago. I also considered a blue throat macaw.

I got Shira, my pineapple green cheek, instead. I guess she is kind of like a mini macaw, but her beak is much less powerful.

I also ended up getting my grey. I realize that is a totally different type of bird, but that is what I went with - a green cheek and a grey.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I've found that the species smaller than the Severes don't like to wrestle - the bigger macaws are more mouthy and hands on. Hahns, Illigers, Yellow Collard, and Nobles are all similar in that they like their snuggles and interactions but not so much the man-handling :giggle: The bigger macaws are much more hands on, not necessarily more snuggly, but there's more bird to mess with, so when you're scratching on them, you can get your whole hand up under those wings and rub :giggle: there's just nothing like it!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jenny,

I think I know what you mean. That is why I fell in love with the blue throat. It is amazing to pet her. There is nothing like it.

She is actually still in the store, but I think she it too much bird for me, even though I really do love her. I taught her to do a high five in three attempts using clicker training. In one session she was targeting, doing a high five, and turning around, although the turn around was not reliable at all.

Perhaps if I had started with her when she was in pin feathers, the way I did with Ashlynn, she would not bite so hard. She bites really hard. I am told her clutchmate never bites too hard, but she is obviously not her clutchmate.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
All Macaws are mouthy, but some are rougher than others. Goober can be rough but my hands are used to it. And if she bites to hard I give a sharp "eh!" kind of like her noise she makes when I hit a pin feather, and she backs off and stares at me for a minute, then resumes more gently. If you're not used to big beaks, then I highly recommend starting with a baby. I can't tell you how many people who became super comfortable with our Greenwings by playing with them the instant they came out of the nursery. If you learn WITH the bird the rules of beaking and biting, then you're both in tune with eachother's tolerance levels and can handle it better. Not to say you couldn't reach that point with the older birds - just takes more time, is a little more intimidating due to a stronger bite, and has more of a learning curve

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll probably continue to play with her until she is finally sold, which, if it goes the way it normally goes for me, will be about two days before I would have just enough money to buy her.

However, I have no intention of buying her. I just know if I ever decided I wanted to, she would sell right before I could.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Hahaha, Daisy! I love you! :lol: I think I'll do that. :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Abby you're gunna have to haha :p

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I'll be sure to tell you how it goes. You know, let you know if I'm in jail or not. ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.