Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts

View attachment 24385

I love offthemark Birb cartoons!

Great comic! Reminds me of the videos I've watched on YouTube featuring parrots asking Alexis to add various foods to the shopping list, or a parrot who requested Rockin' Robin to be played over and over again. Ooooh that modern technology!

Reactions: Robbie

·
Registered
706 Posts
Reactions: Mr Peepers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guess I can tell my story here. Back in 2013 we rescued 2 parrotlets from an over extended bird lady. They were poorly kept cage bound fearful little things. We lost the male Bo about 6 months in due to his past treatment. Jules we were able to turn back from the wild side and she has been our of our best pets until late last year when it became obvious that her past and age was catching up with her. We then picked up a baby yellow boy parrotlet called Rio. Jules last favor to us was being alive an additional 6 months and training Rio to us and us him. Rio is now about 10 months old and a little punk. He is making a lot of unique noises and sounds and mimicking more but has not gotten down to words yet.

·
Super Moderator
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess I can tell my story here. Back in 2013 we rescued 2 parrotlets from an over extended bird lady. They were poorly kept cage bound fearful little things. We lost the male Bo about 6 months in due to his past treatment. Jules we were able to turn back from the wild side and she has been our of our best pets until late last year when it became obvious that her past and age was catching up with her. We then picked up a baby yellow boy parrotlet called Rio. Jules last favor to us was being alive an additional 6 months and training Rio to us and us him. Rio is now about 10 months old and a little punk. He is making a lot of unique noises and sounds and mimicking more but has not gotten down to words yet.
How sweet that you rescued those poor parrotlets ... they are such amazing little birds. Funny and talkative and energetic ... sorry to hear you lost Bo but had Jules for a while longer and got to give her the best life she could have had right to the end. SWEET that you got Rio and Jules showed him the ropes before she left you.

I'm sorry you lost your bird friends but you can always know they had the very best life in the end.

It will be interesting how Rio steps up to the plate and starts chitter chatting to you and says some full on words. Keep asking him "WHATCHA DOING?" for some reason most birds learn this small phrase/words first. Followed by the KISS Smoochy noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How sweet that you rescued those poor parrotlets ... they are such amazing little birds. Funny and talkative and energetic ... sorry to hear you lost Bo but had Jules for a while longer and got to give her the best life she could have had right to the end. SWEET that you got Rio and Jules showed him the ropes before she left you.

I'm sorry you lost your bird friends but you can always know they had the very best life in the end.

It will be interesting how Rio steps up to the plate and starts chitter chatting to you and says some full on words. Keep asking him "WHATCHA DOING?" for some reason most birds learn this small phrase/words first. Followed by the KISS Smoochy noise.
The rescuing was my wife doing. She was going after finches or canaries and came back with parrotlets. I was not really into birds at that time and had no interest in them. Came home about a week in to an upset wife because the birds were so hateful / aggressive. So I started looking into birds and it turned out they managed to get into my heart a bit. It is now 8 years later and I am about one of the biggest parrotlet fans around. They are great little birds. Very smart. Can be very loving. Mercurial in nature. tiny tyrants you love to be ruled by.

·
Super Moderator
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The rescuing was my wife doing. She was going after finches or canaries and came back with parrotlets. I was not really into birds at that time and had no interest in them. Came home about a week in to an upset wife because the birds were so hateful / aggressive. So I started looking into birds and it turned out they managed to get into my heart a bit. It is now 8 years later and I am about one of the biggest parrotlet fans around. They are great little birds. Very smart. Can be very loving. Mercurial in nature. tiny tyrants you love to be ruled by.

It doesn't take much for a bird to charm our hearts! I'm really impressed you got into it doing some research and learned what you need to know to handle and care for such cool little birds. I have a friend who had a huge flight cage full of parrotlets and I was so fascinated watching them interact and play. They are so different from budgies and tiels. They have the sweetest little chirps and calls and they do love to eat anything fresh in the form of fruits and veggies you put in front of them. Amazing birbs!

Congrats on becoming ... "ONE OF US!''

1 - 9 of 9 Posts