Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. It's been a really long time since I've been on here. Been really busy with college and work and all my animals, but thought I would start trying to get on here more. Anyways, my cockatiels and parakeets both started laying last Friday and right now I have 3 eggs from both and they seem to all be turning out fertile. Last year when they bred I had 5 from my cockatiel and 8 from my parakeet. I hope they give me a little break this time and decide not to have as many babies. Lol. Either way I'll be taking great care of them. Hopefully I'll get some pics uploaded soon of them and the eggs. Hope everyone is doing good here. Be back soon with updates. :D

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Welcome back :thumbsup: glad to know your birds are doing okay!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Welcome back!
I bet you are excited for your birds.
Keep us updated and post some pictures!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Welcome back.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. Here are some pics that I promised. Right now both my parakeets (Bluebelle and Sky) and cockatiels (Nala and Rafiki) have 4 eggs. They should be laying another one either tonight or tomorrow. I'll have to check when I get home from work tonight. They all seem to be doing good and from what I can tell they are all coming out fertile. :) Anyone have any suggestions on what to put on the bottom of the nestbox? I used oatmeal last year and that worked fine for the cockatiels, but the parakeets pushed it out. All of their babies turned out fine except one that had splayed legs. I tried to fix it and made a splint, but it didn't work. I ended up keeping that baby, but unfortunately a few months ago I came home and found him dead. :( So I'm hoping to figure something out that will keep this from happening. He got around fine, it just seemed like he had trouble sometimes.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Great pictures. I don't know anything about breeding, sorry.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hi and welcome back. I have a pair of tiels in the nest now. We are using the shredded paper product. I packed it three inches deep. So far they love it and are sitting on four eggs.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Great pics, I use shredded paper and I bought some sheeps wool thing the other day. I put it on the floor to let them get on with it and they've all used it. As for the shredded paper I just put that in for them

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Daisy,
Was that a pelt or roving or what?

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Nice pictures, but it is the same for me, I don't know a lot about breeding. At least, I have never bred birds before. I would think shredded paper would be good, and just test out any other materials and see how they like it. Make sure what you use isn't toxic, of course. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Nanay, it was literally just sheeps fur/wool in a bag, I have a pelt in my finches box!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll probably try some shredded paper and see how that works. So the cockatiels stayed at four eggs and parakeets at 6, but I had a surprise because I wasn't expecting any eggs to hatch at least for a few more days, but my first baby parakeet hatched Saturday. I looked at the dates she started laying and it's about right. It was about 16 days since the first egg was laid. So I guess I should be having some cockatiel babies soon too because they both stared laying the same day. I'll get some more pictures soon. I can't wait to start hand feeding again. Although it took away my social life a little, I really enjoyed it and having he one on one attention with each chick.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I have some more big new. Now I have 2 parakeet babies hatched and one cockatiel. I'm SOOOO excited about the cockatiel chick because I believe it's a lutino which I've been wanting, but didn't expect from my pair of tiels (both are normal grey, but I believe the father is a pearl because of the first clutch they produced for me). Anyways I have a picture and if anyone would be able to confirm and deny their thoughts about the baby chick let me know. I'm pretty positive it is a lutino though. I can't wait until she gets bigger.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
awwh little fuzzy!

·
Registered
57 Posts
If They Have Produced Pearls Then It Means Both Are Split For Pearl Or The Male Is A Pearl And Female Is Split For Pearl Thats The Only Way They Can Produce Pearls. Also The Male Is Split For Lutino If They Are Producing lutino chicks because females can't be split for lutino and if she was a lutino then you would have lutino chicks both sex but lutino is a recessive gene so that means they can produce lutinos without the female being split for lutino as they can't be! So they will always produce Lutino female chicks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Also there is a chance that your lutino female chick you have will be a lutino pearl! Keep us updated with pictures

·
Registered
662 Posts
I am thinking this baby looks like my little fourth baby. It has pink/red eyes and is so pale in its coloring. In fact the flights are coming in white. Mom is a cinnie pearl split to pied. I will keep the lutino, how about you?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey everyone. Definitely meant to update more often but life has been pretty hectic with my little zoo, school, work and helping others. Anyways overall I have 3 cockatiel babies, and 4 parakeet babies. Have been handfeeding them all and the parakeets are eating on their own. Crazy4birds88 you were right about the lutino baby. It's actually a pearl lutino and I also have a pearl and normal gray baby. so they gave me quite a variety. I am going to keep the lutino pearl to answer your question The Brute Squad. I've always wanted a lutino. I already have a home for the pearl once its weaned and two parakeets (I'm keeping one of these too :p). So now my little zoo is expanding. Lol.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Thanks for the update Chris! I really want to see some pictures of your babies!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.