Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My young green cheek won't poop in her cage. I've never seen a bird do this. She will hold it until I bring her out and put her on the playgym then BOMBS AWAY! Is this healthy for her? Sometimes she'll hold it 5 or 6 hours if I'm out of the house. I'm wondering if she should go to the vet for this or if this is normal? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
UGH! I guess if you know it's coming, you could hold her over a newspaper or lined trash can -- "Make a Poopie"! Libby, my Pineapple Green Cheek, doesn't poop during the night, so the first one in the morning is BIG, but she does it in her sleeping cage. And she does poop in her daytime cage during the day.

My friend has a Caique who NEVER poops in her cage either, and she's a bigger bird, so much bigger poops. In the morning, my friend puts a bunch of newspaper on the floor in front of her cage and opens the door. The Caique backs out and SPLAT a giant load! Before my friend figured this out, the Caique would back up to the cage bars in the front and let it fly OUT of the cage! A MESS! I don't know if most Caiques are like this or not.

Maybe this is just a "thing" some birds do and some don't, I don't know. I imagine it is worrisome though, especially when you're gone for a while. Maybe the vet can answer the question for you and/or maybe someone more knowledgeable on this forum will jump in.

Good luck!

·
Registered
662 Posts
We have four conures and one won't do his morning poop in the cage. It has to be outside the cage. After that he's fine in the cage. Silly birds!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.