Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and picked Joey up from a farm today, he was not hand raised but he's really friendly. All the way home in the car he was pressed up the bars of the pet carrier begging for scritches. I have him them loads and loads and every time I didn't he grumbled and licked me :giggle:

He can say 'Joey' and 'how you doin?' pretty well :lol:

He also whistles the tune to pop goes the weasle

We got him in the house and he stopped doing that loud cockatiel scream and popped him on the bed. He stepped up straight away and if you put you had in his sight he runs to come and sit on it. He also flies to come and sit on your hand... or head. He seems to really like heads. But he's doing fantastic already and I really like him. The own told me he was white.. he's actually pied. But hey I think he's stunning.

There's only one catch to him... he hasn't got any feathers around the front of his neck and shoulders due to a pretty bad moult, he never plucks though. So he looks a bit funny. But his feathers are coming back in loads and he looks really wonderful.

I've got a couple of pictures to share. He's a really cuddlybug and I couldn't have asked for a more nicer bird!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hehe thanks Apple! Those pictures don't do his neck much justice though. My camera is just a bit too sharp for it so it makes it look horrid. If you see my phone ones they aren't anywhere near as bad :lol:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But your plucker is all fluffy!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Congratulations on your new 'tiel! He's such a cutie! They are such great birds. When I first brought my cockatiel home, I was amazed at how quickly she got comfortable in my home. Right away she wanted out of her cage and she let me hold her and give her head scratches.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I handled mine before I put him away too. He's been living in an aviary and he's stayed tame so he's a great little guy :D I'm really happy with him! And thank you both :D

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'm happy to hear he is so sweet and also that you appreciate him for who he is.

I've never seen a molt like that? Is that something that happens in cocktiels?

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've seen some pretty heavy moults like that in tiels but now I'm noticing after watching him all night he won't stop preening... So now I'm thinking the lady didn't realise. But he does seriously preen like crazy. He hasn't stopped yet!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
That may be a problem...
Thankfully I've never had any feather problems or preening problems or plucking problems. (That was a lot of P's!!)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That was a lot of P's! Hahaha!

yeah I know it may be a problem. He doesn't pluck at all. He's pretty fine. I just notice that he preens a lot compared to my other birds... he's still gorgeous though. The lady said he's only done it since the moult, so it may be just VERY heavy :)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
That was a lot of P's! Hahaha!

yeah I know it may be a problem. He doesn't pluck at all. He's pretty fine. I just notice that he preens a lot compared to my other birds... he's still gorgeous though. The lady said he's only done it since the moult, so it may be just VERY heavy :)
Or maybe he's really itchy with new pins going to come in. :)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
True true, he is definately growing them back!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I have this brochure for this stuff called "Soother Spray." It's a skin irritation reliever, and it reduces superficial itching and provides comfort during molting. I'm sure you could find some of that stuff for your Joey. I think he'd really appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have this brochure for this stuff called "Soother Spray." It's a skin irritation reliever, and it reduces superficial itching and provides comfort during molting. I'm sure you could find some of that stuff for your Joey. I think he'd really appreciate it!
Talking about being itchy your making me feel itchy. :p

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah thanks Abby I'll be sure to find something like that from my store. In fact I may have something like it :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.