Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I might have decided on my next bird.
My birthday is in a few months. I can't sleep right now, so I decided to brainstorm possible things I could use any birthday money on and such. Stuff for my birds immediately came to my mind at first. I also considered a new queen sized bed (I'm quite sick of my twin sized bed...I've had it since I stopped using cribs, and I don't really fit on it comfortably anymore...:lol:). I've of course been wanting new cages as well. I really want that black flight cage for Kiki, so the white one I have now can be used for Minnie.
But a thought crossed my mind...Minnie will be so lonely in such a big cage by herself! :giggle:
(Forgot to update that Minnie and Kiki are currently sharing Kiki's flight cage and it is working out great.)
So why not another cockatiel? You can never have too many cockatiels, right? ;) It isn't a very large bird and the introduction of this bird wouldn't be such a big deal, so I don't see my parents having much of a problem with it.
I am thinking a male, probably the normal grey coloring or something more colorful and different from Minnie. They can both share Minnie's flight cage together.
I considered getting those Zebra finches I have been wanting for a while, just because I haven't had finches before and I would love to be able to observe them and take care of some. But I think there is so much more enjoyment coming from owning a cockatiel.
So that is the plan for now!!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Great choice! Tiels are wonderful :D that way you can afford the new cage for Kiki AND have the tiel. And then you have a spare cage for the zebbies! Hehe!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cockatiels aren't too expensive, either. I'm thinking about where to get one. I think at the Bird Farm, they sell mainly just cockatiels that have been given to them by people who don't want them anymore. They are usually a few years old. I could get one there. I got Minnie off of Craigslist. There are cockatiels for sale pretty much everywhere.

·
Registered
768 Posts
They are very hard to find around me but iv still got 2 breeders numbers incase :)
never know mine might have babies in the future (something im looking into but im in no rush)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
You could adopt Abby :D

·
Registered
914 Posts
that sounds awesome!! and no you can never have too many tiels:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I like the idea of a tiel better than Zebras :) Zebras breed like rabbits, so you'd need a flight for them and their future babies :giggle: They're the gift that keeps on giving!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I wish mine were like that right now Jenny :rolleyes: unfortunately they've had nothing successful this year!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hahaha "the gift that keeps on giving"! :lol:
And also, just to inform you, Jenny, if I get a male cockatiel, I'm probably naming it Moose. I fell in love with your 'tiel's name as soon as I saw it! Sorry to be a copier. :giggle:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
That's sweet Abby, I'm sure Jenny's Moose will be honoured!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Hahaha "the gift that keeps on giving"! :lol:
And also, just to inform you, Jenny, if I get a male cockatiel, I'm probably naming it Moose. I fell in love with your 'tiel's name as soon as I saw it! Sorry to be a copier. :giggle:
:giggle: Late response, but that's ok!! Go for it! :biggrin5:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yea Cockatiels Are Like Potatoe Chips Don't Plan On Having 1! I have 2 pairs, graystar my single tiel and soon to be 3 baby cockatiels that are unweaned!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still thinking about buying a new cockatiel over the summer, maybe not necessarily for my birthday. If I come accross an ad online for a 'tiel that needs a home, I might do that. If any of you know anyone who's selling a 'tiel or if you see any ads, please let me know! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you have then its OK other wise now try to get the Australian birds.A big bigger birds and available in multi colors are really adored and beautiful bird breed.Most of you know do not know that behavior of this breed is really great and friendly.You must try to get this.Its really fun to have.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
what species of Australian bird are you talking about? There are many. Cockatiels may I add are Australian

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update:
Since Minnie died, I've been very discouraged. :(
Don't want another cockatiel.
For now, I just want to move up in the bird world. Get bigger birds. How did I manage to lose 3 little ones within the past year or two?
I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I think I will be giving my two budgies to Rose. This has to do with losing Minnie (I think we all have those times after we lose a bird and we just want to give up. I know I've felt that several times.) but I also love Rose and I know she'd be a wonderful mommy. She really wants to own some birds, and I know I've taken good care of them and she will, too. She's interacted with them before, and this way I will be able to visit and play with them often. I'd never sell them, or give them away to strangers, but since me and Rose are so close and I feel like I'd still be apart of their lives, I want to do this.
Not sure exactly when this will happen, but Rose and I are very excited for the transition.

So I will just have Kiki for a short while, which she will love. I'll be happy to give all my attention to her.

My next bird will most likely be a Green Cheek Conure, and then after that the African Grey and Green Winged Macaw, as I've discussed several times before on the forum.

Thought I'd let you all know.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.