Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You guys will not believe this.....I got.....a.....SUN CONURE!! :yahoo: I am beyond excited. I keep jumping up and down and laughing and shouting and telling everyone!

I went to the Bird Farm. We were looking at parrotlets, actually. There were some babies in the back, and one of the owners were showing us the ones in the back. Right next to the parrotlet cage was a cage of two baby Sun Conures. Everything in the store was marked down in price because of the holidays, so these birds that were usually $350 were now $200. I was asking the owner about them, my mom was standing with us. The owner said they were still $200. They were 12 weeks old. They didn't know their genders yet, but they were tame. I asked my mom if we could get one. I told her that $200 was a really great price. They are babies, which is an excellent age to begin training and bonding. I told her this was all a very good deal, and that I've wanted a Sun Conure for a long time. The owner let us be alone for a while and said if we wanted to try and handle them to come ask her. So I talked to my mom for a long time about it. At one point I thought it was a definite no, but I managed to convince her finally!

I told the lady we were getting one. She helped us pick out which one was tamer. The one we picked is of course tame and has been hand fed, however, doesn't know how to step up yet. We put him in a large box, got some seed to start with, and paid for it all.

So now I just got back from the Bird Farm! Too bad for Minnie, I had to switch her back to her old cage. :'( I don't think she'll mind too much, although I feel really bad for doing it. I can't give the Conure Minine's old cage though, no way! So I put the Sun Conure in the big cage. Rearranged a bit and took any excess stuff out. I'm letting him/her hang out for a while, I want him to get comfortable.

He's absolutely gorgeous!! He hasn't had his first molt yet, so he's a bit green, but when he does get his first molt, (which the lady said would be at six months old) he'll be bright orange and yellow!

So yeah, he's in his cage, just sitting where I left him. At this point though, I want to get some major research in. A few months back before I got Minnie, I thought I was going to buy a Sun Conure, so I did a ton of research. But this happened quickly (it was NOT impulse, I know what I am doing) and while he's settling in, I want to find out what I should be doing to reinforce behaviors for the first couple of days. I've read that Conures will need constant guidelines and rules and they need to be reinforced A LOT, especially when first arriving at their new home. I want him to be a good bird obviously, so I need your guys' help on what I should be doing. What behaviors should I reinforce these first couple of days/weeks and how should I do all of that?

Ah, but I just can't believe this is happening! This is a bird I've wanted for a really long time, and I did not expect to get it today AT ALL. Oh my gosh! This an amazing Christmas present.

So yeah, any quick tips for the first couple of days/weeks would be good. Thank you for any help you give! I'll keep you guys updated on everything and anything that goes on with him! (And, Daisy, this bird is instead of the lovebird and finches)

(Since we don't know the sex yet, I'll need to think up some unisex names. Please give me suggestions!)

I don't want to take too many pictures yet, but here is a few just to somewhat satisfy your guys' hunger for pictures. ;)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Abby,
What a perfect gift for you!!!!!!!!!!!
:cngrs13:

I know for a fact that this was NOT an impulse purchase for you, because you have been saying ever since you joined this forum that your two dream birds were a sun conure and an African grey. Since those are your dream birds, I think it was very wise of your mom to help you get what you really want. If you had gotten something else, you would still have wanted the sun conure. I think you are old enough to handle the sun conure, so that is what you should have done if it was at all possible. Since he is there in your home, I guess it was possible. lol

I have never had a sun conure even though I think they are marvelous birds. The reason I have never had one is because their particular call is irritating to me. Nevertheless, I believe they are beautiful birds and I have been told by people who have them that they can be marvelous pets.

First off, let me commend your decision to leave your new bird alone to get used to his/her new environment for a while. I think this is the very best thing you can do for at least 24 hours, and probably, since you did not get to know the bird in the store before you were able to bring it home, the period should be longer than 24 hours.

I won't give you any more advice than that right now because I think it wouldn't make sense to give a lot of adivce until you are ready to use it. Nevertheless, I will be happy to give you advice as time goes on. Conures in general are wonderful companion birds. I believe they are highly underrated as companion parrots.

Again, I am VERY excited for you!

:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray: :biggrin5:

Reactions: Abby

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
OH ABBY! Congrats! Your new baby is georgous! Sun Conures are absolutely beautiful! The reason I didn't get one was that they are really loud, their whistle can pierce your eardrums! They are so beautiful though!

You're going to love having a Conure! They try to be the boss, but with lots of love, attention and guidance, it's managable. Libby, my Pineapple Green Cheek Conure is smaller than a Sun and way more quiet, she's the love of my life (besides my husband!). Conures are clowny, fun, affectionate, smart, acrobatic, you name it! And they can learn to talk and do tricks!

I've started clicker training with both my Conure and my Parrotlet and it's going very well. It's a really upbeat way for the 3 of us to end the day!

Congratulations! You're in for a whole lot of fun! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you, Nanay! I'm glad to hear that it wasn't an impulse purchase for me. Yeah, I wasn't planning on buying one today, but eventually I was, and I do love Sun Conures. I've left him alone since he got here about an hour ago. He hasn't sat on any perches yet, he is at the corner of the top of the cage looking around. Oh wait....Now that I turn to look at him, he IS sitting on a perch. Finally! Haha. Every now and then he'll squawk, but not continuously. It's usually only when a loud sound is made or when my cockatiel chirps.

After twenty-thirty minutes of him being here, I took two dishes and filled them up with a little bit of seed and a little bit of water. I put them on the ground of the cage. The Bird Farm's owners said that he might have a little trouble at this point eating from a dish that is hanging (he is young) and they suggested that for a while, I put the food at the bottom of the cage. I've been playing very quiet and soft acoustic guitar music for him, and pretty much just leaving him alone as much as I can.

As tempting as it is for me to try and handle him, I'm not going to until at least tomorrow, or maybe two days. Until I actually handle him and such, I'll try to spend my time researching as much as I can. I want to be prepared for the behaviors he will be showing. From just handling him at the store, I can already see the difference between him and the birds I currently have. I'm sure this will be more of a challenge, but I'm up for it!! :D

So yeah, anymore advice for the first couple weeks would be great! I'm looking forward to what else the other members have to say as well.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Jo Anne and Nanay!! I love to hear the enthusiasm from you guys as well! You won't believe how excited I am! Haha, I seem to be hearing that from everybody; people don't seem to be a fan of Sun Conure noises! And mine is stuck in my room with me with four other birds! Haha.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh and thank goodness I have a whole book on parrot behaviors. :)

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also! (I'm so sorry for making so many posts constantly, things just keep popping up in my head!) I have a question. Well, actually, two questions. Are Sun Conures considered larger conures or smaller conures? And when I let my birds out of their cages (I've got a cockatiel and three budgies) will the Sun Conure for sure not get along with them? Will he attack them, or will they attack him?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Abby,
One thing I should tell you immediately.
Watch his poohs very closely. If you notice that they are turning black, he is starving. Keep changing his cage papers often so that you can see his poohs. I do not expect him to starve, but if the store told you that he wasn't eating yet from bowls up high in the cage, it is my opinion that they sent him home a bit too early. (That is just me, and don't interpret that to mean that I think anything bad about the store or you. My bird store is very picky about not letting birds go until they are certain they are eating, and even then they want people to bring the birds back in if there is any question that they may not be eating well in their new environments.)

Also - was the bird weaned onto pellets?

If your bird was weaned onto pellets, be sure to feed the pellets the bird store was feeding for a few weeks. Actually, feed whatever it was the bird was eating for at least two weeks. Don't make any changes until the bird fells safe in your home.

I know you plan to switch to pellets soon. I do think it is good you are switching to pellets, but, again, wait to switch anything for at least two weeks.

I'm telling you this because I made a mistake with Ashlynn when she first came home and did not have the right kind of pellets. I am speaking from experience because I made a mistake.

It is good that you are doing what the bird store suggested regarding the food and water dishes. Also, you might want to play and splash around a little in the water dishes and see if he/she won't start drinking when you do that. Watch closely to monitor that the bird is also drinking.

You will be wonderful with this bird. You already have a lot of experience.

Really watch the birds droppings. That is very important until you are certain the bird is eating and drinking well.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much nanay for that post. I appreciated all of that!

I'm not too worried about having the bird come home with me earlier than it should have, just because I really do trust the store. Not that they can't make mistakes, I'm sure they have and they can. The vet I go to is very, very experienced and he completely trusts and loves the Bird Farm (where I got the bird) as well as the rest of the vet clinic, so I feel safe in saying I trust them as well. They didn't say that the bird CAN'T eat from a dish that is attached the side of the cage, they just said you might want to keep the food at the bottom of the cage for a little bit just in case. Also probably because the bird might be more likely to eat it if it's at the bottom since it has just arrived here.

The owner of the bird farm says that the bird was weaned on some pellets, I'm not sure if it was ALL pellets, she made it sound like it wasn't, but the bird was being fed the same seed mixture that the owners sent home with me. Yes, I'll be switching to pellets soon, probably Harrison's. I can't remember which brand the owner said they used with the Sun Conure. I'll probably ask about it again. I'm coming up with some questions for the Bird Farm and I'll call them in a few days. I was so excited when I was buying the bird that I was distracted and didn't get to ask all the questions I wanted to!

I'll most definitely watch the Sun Conure's poo very closely. I'll try to encourage him to eat and drink as much as I can at this point.

Thanks again, nanay! (I tried to give to karma or reputation or whatever, but it won't let me! I think I already gave you some too recently ago.)

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I still would like answers to the questions I asked a few posts ago...the ones about the Sun Conure getting along with other birds and what size a Sun Conure is considered (a large conure or small conure) Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I still would like answers to the questions I asked a few posts ago...the ones about the Sun Conure getting along with other birds and what size a Sun Conure is considered (a large conure or small conure) Thanks in advance for any help!
I have lovies and they don't get along with any other birds so I would guess a conure wouldn't either and I think there considered smaller conures.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A small conure? Because on TB someone said that they would be considered large...Hm.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Abby,
Sun conures are aratinga conures. (That may be spelled incorrectly.) They are not the largest of the conures, but they are not the smallest of the conures.

My shira is a green cheeck, which is a pyhurra conure. (That may also be spelled incorrectly. :eek:) Pyhurras are smaller conures in general than the aratingas. There are also other kinds of conures, but the aratingas and the pyhurras have more species than the other types of conures. As a whole, aratingas calls are louder than the calls of the pyhurras, which is why I have a green cheek instead of a sun conure, lol.

Your birds may or may not get along. There is no way to predict that until you try it. You must be prepared to separate the birds if there is a problem. Your conure's beak is large enough that it could kill your budgies. I'm not saying it will, but it could bite off a beak.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Abby,
Sorry, I wrote all that about the types of conures but I don't think I ever said large or small. Sorry

I think lots of people consider the pyhurras, like Shira, small and all of the others large conures, but, really, a sun is what I would call a medium sized conure.

Shira agrees, lol. She is sitting on my hand supervising what I write. You will LOVE having a conure. They are soooooooooooooooooo much fun! :thumbsup:

Elisa, my lineolated parakeet, a bird that is larger than a budgie but smaller than a cockatiel, wants me to tell you that she doesn't trust Shira at all. I have both birds with me, and Elisa won't let Shira near he at all.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are being really helpful, nanay! I can't thank you enough!

The reason I was asking whether my conure was considered large or small is because in one of my parrot books, it says, "A large sized conure should have a cage around 36x40x36 inches." The cage I have for my new Sun Conure is close, but not that big. It's 32 inches wide, 38 inches tall and the depth is about 22 inches. I'm pretty sure the cage I have will work, especially because my birds are out of their cages so often, but yeah. My book also says that a large sized Conure cage's bar spacing should be between 5/8 and 3/4. I'm pretty sure my Conure's cage has 1/2 bar spacing. Is this still all okay? (I'm really hoping)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Your cage is perfect for your conure. I think lots of conure owners on this forum use that very cage. That book is referring to a patagonian conure or a golden conure. They are MUCH larger than a sun conure.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought the cage with Minnie in mind. :/

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah, okay! I was so worried about that! Phew! Thank you once again.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Okay, some names I've thought of. Some are more girly or boyish than others, but these are all ones I'm considering. Please tell me your thoughts on them:

Meeko
Jack
Chikorita
Mikami
Kiki
Biskit

UPDATE: Biskit has been crossed off the list.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.