Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I bought Minnie back in August, the owner gave us pretty much everything they had for birds, all their seed, treats, everything. They also gave us this Natural Corn Cob Bedding. I haven't touched it, but I still have it. Are there any dangers in using it?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here is an article about this. I do not want to tell you what to use but my vet recommends paper only at the bottom of cages. Personally, I buy a big roll of brown paper at staples and use that but, newsprint is just fine and I believe the inks are now vegetable based if you are using newspapers. Change the paper everyday. If you have a nest box, a breeder on Talk Parrotlets recommends rolled oats as bedding since it does not harm the birds if they eat it.

Here is the link:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071226121803AACEopH

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not going to use it, and I didn't use it in the first place because I had heard some negative things about it. I was just making sure from you guys! I prefer paper. I think it is so much easier to use anyway.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Any of the litters hold moisture and dust, so are dangerous if not maintained regularly and inspected almost daily. Paper liners, newspaper being the easiest usually, are safer because they absorb some of the moisture and don't hold the dust and dander.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After reading about so many bird diseases the other day, I feel like it isn't even worth it using something such as the corn cob bedding because of the bacteria that could be on it and what it does to our birds. And also, I don't find birds and their cages to be very stinky anyway. Odor and mess aren't a problem.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I've never heard of corn cob bedding? May be a dumb question but what is it?

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Ahh thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Thanks Abby! I've never known anybody use it haha :eek:

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At places like Petsmart, I see them use some type of bedding. That's really the only place I've seen them use anything other than paper.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I sometimes use the little wooden chips that I use for my vivarium, it's safe and easy to clean. The birds seem to like it too :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.