1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
They are beautiful? Are they tame?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
They are very cute!! Be forewarned - if they are a bonded pair (especially if they're male/female) they'll likely only tolerate you. Lovebirds don't tame down very easily in pairs. However, with some time, dedication, and luck they will come to be friendly with you and allow you in to "their" flock :giggle: Lovies are so entertaining to watch and interact with. They can be territorial at times, so watch their behavior for a bit to get a feel for when they're going to be bossy or aggressive

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know if they do ok in groups? The lady I bought them from offered me the other 2 that they were living with for another £20. The other 2 were younger.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Jenny's right! I had two beautiful Lovebirds years ago, turquoise with black masks, and they didn't love anyone but each other! This is probably 25 years ago (no forums then, no computers either, so no "live" advice). I remember at the time I wondered why they were called "LOVEbirds"!

They sure are beautiful though! Congrats!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Oh they sure are! That's what lured me in with the two I had! They were a deep turquoise blue and I couldn't resist! In those days (many moons ago) it was believed that Lovebirds had to be in pairs. That idea went the way of "grit" and seed-only diets -- thankfully!

Enjoy your babies!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't house two pairs because they can be territorial during breeding season and when lovebirds decide to fight over nests in captivity, it can be to the death. I've seen a cage full of lovebird babies kill another lovebird that got in on accident... we had two bins of lovebird babies, one older group one younger, and a youngster accidentally flew into the older group and before I could get him out they had chewed his feet off... :shrug:

I have seen lovebirds kept in groups, but after seeing what I did, I'm paranoid about it. I'm sure with enough space in an aviary setting and enough nesting sites, food dishes, roosts etc. they would be ok but I'm really not knowledgeable enough about those particulars to advise on it

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have an awesome lovebird. She's as sweet as anything. Unless I was breeding them, I housed my lovebirds seperately & they kept tame. And lovebirds are beautiful to just watch. Nice babies!:lovehearts:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an update as it's been over a week now. They're still alive and well! :D

I've named them Emu and Why after birds on kids tv programmes I watched as a kid. Emu is the one with the white chest.

They're still scared of me, freaked out a bit when I got in the aviary to clean the perches but there was no biting which I guess is good at least. They won't touch their fruit/veg bowl but I keep putting it in daily, hopefully they will decide to try it soon. Emu has claimed the comfy hide and usually chases Why away but since yesterday Emu is allowing Why in but only during the day. Poor Why went in to sleep with Emu last night and got kicked straight back out.

They tend to make a lot of noise in the morning from about 7:30 until 11pm and then shortly before bed but most of the day is quiet or just brief amounts of noise.

So there you go! :)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I found that I could house my lovebirds together in a group providing they weren't breeding. When they breed they tend to get pretty ugly with each other haha. We often have to remove the males and leave the females to it because a couple have killed their own chicks!

Very cute little birdies though!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Time for an update I think :)

I've finally got them started on vegetables! At the moment they will only eat green ones. I tried offering a variety for 2 weeks and tried a warm mix but failing that I started offering a single type and they took to eating curly kale so I gave them just that for a few days and then sneakily added spinach leaves which at first they left but over the past few days they've also been eating those. I'll try broccoli again next and see if I can sneak some green pepper in later on. Then I'll work on brightly coloured veg :)

They chewed a hole in their old comfy hide and it seemed a little small anyway as they squabbled a bit when moving around inside so I bought them a purpose made lovebird box but the squabbling got so bad that on Tuesday night they were squabbling during the night! So out it came and they're now back to sleeping in the open on toys (away from each other!). I bought a little hide which looks like a tent with a perch inside (no bottom) but instead of using the perch they both squash up together on top of it against the cage mesh!

Yesterday I replaced the natural wood perches as it did seem there was too much diameter to them and used 12mm wooden dowels. They still have a variety of sized perches and toys to climb around on though.

Emu (the sea green) has started letting me watch him eat. Previously if they were eating when I got close they'd fly away but Emu has become a lot more tolerant and as long as I keep still he'll remain eating. Today Why surprised me by staying on his hoop toy about 12" from the water bowl whilst I replaced the bowl after cleaning/refilling. That's the closest I've ever gotten to him yet!

Emu is becoming quite the master at untying knots. Their ladder toy is attached to the metal clips with rope and he's mastered the art of untying the rope from the clips. The other day I retied the knot, put the ladder back in and straight away he was on it pulling the knot apart again.

Their confidence when I'm in the cage cleaning is growing too. There's virtually no fuss now even when I'm stood up and filling most of their space.

It's so nice to watch them develop and I look forward to looking back at this thread the same time next year and seeing how they've changed :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Great update. Always happy to hear of these successes. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
How are the birds doing now Simon?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.