Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I just bought a new heater and wondering if anyone uses a similar one. I would think that by the way it heats that it would be safe for the fids but I want to be sure before I bring it upstairs where I intend to use it. It is one of those electric "radiator" heaters... stands upright, has four little wheels, has the coils like the old radiators that hooked to water and mounted to floor/wall... the ones like this use oil in them but they are completely sealed... just gets hot and radiates heat just like the old radiators would.... anyone use these?? thanks <>< :confused:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Down here in FL I have no idea about heaters, but I do recall hearing that some of the heaters have a teflon/non-stick coating on the heating element... I would look into that before using it

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I knew that alot of the heater that have fans in them and blow the heat do, especially the ceramic ones...

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Hopefully someone who lives up north will be able to offer some advice soon :thumbsup: We're at record colds in the 30's so we don't keep heaters in the house :giggle:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I had no idea the ceramic heaters had teflon coatings. Thank you for the information. I'm sorry I can't say anything about the heater you are describing. I need to get a new heater for my dogs, so I'm going to be checking all of this out myself.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been doing some research, found some more info on the subject of bird safe heaters and as long as there is NO teflon/nonstick surfaces, which lots of ceramic heaters have if I'm understanding right.... electric radiator heaters are great because they just get hot and emit heat in all directions and unlike heaters that have fans and those that get red hot they aren't hot enough to actually melt flesh of birds... if they did accidentally land on one it would not feel good at all obviously but from the info I've found they aren't hot enough to cause any real damage... make them wiser maybe ;-) ..... anyway... one important thing I've heard almost everywhere I've looked for info is to (after making sure there are no dangers such as teflon in the heater) always run the heater for a day or so in a garage or area away from birds to burn off any residue, grease, oil from the factory.. I know I'm the one that asked this question but I figured I would share what I've found in case anyone else is wondering about bird safe heaters.... I thought this was kind of obvious, but, also important to stay away from heaters that give off any kind of fume/heaters that use fuel... especially kerosene heaters, they can put off carbon monoxide etc.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NAYNAY **>> don't think all ceramic heaters have teflon, but I think many do so its always good to call the company and ask them.......could be wrong but I think anything made by Holmes is teflon free... I'd still call them and make sure...

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Thanks Corey.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.