Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My amazon green parrot had been acting strange for about a week then laid an egg yesterday but still seems tired and acting strangely not her usual feisty self can anyone give me advice on this

·
Administrator
6,830 Posts
Egg laying can be a problem for some birds as they get bound up with an egg or two stuck inside and they can't pass them. This can physically stress the bird out and cause injury or worse. I would suggest a visit to the vet ASAP and get her checked out.

Better to be safe and assure your pet will be okay. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is your bird pooping? If she is not pooping the it is very much a life or death situation. If she can’t poop then it backs up and has devastating results. Sometimes you can feel the egg by palpating her abdominal area. If you take her to the vet they will give her a magnesium and calcium shot.
https:/thehappychickencoop.com/egg-bound-chicken/

Egg Bound Chicken: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention

I had a quail who became egg bound and yhis what I did when I did not have access to a vet. I give a calcium and magnesium supplement in a sugar water with a syringe(put a drops on the side of the beak). I did 3 soaks in warm epson salt baths (at 3 to 5 minutes each) if it’s stresses your bird out too much I wouldn’t do it. Then I gently massages the egg out with coconut oil rubbing her vent. If it’s an egg with no hard outer shell you need to gently guide the egg out. If you break the egg while inside the bird it will cause an infection and could be fatal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Because your bird is tired I would provide her with another heat source. I use heated perch and when a bird isn't feeling well or recovering I use a space heater. Space heater needs to be old as new ones have fumes that could kill your bird - you need to run it for a while ( at least a week to burn off the fumes) I also use a raidient heat panel for birds. I hope this is helpful and bird is on the way to recover.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts