Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Is it true- do I have to give up scented candles? I will if it means my birds well being! Please advise-

·
Registered
993 Posts
That is true! You have to be very careful things like teflon from frying pans, glade air freshners, I dont use any air freshners, smoke, no strong cleaners near the bird. Anything with a fume really. If you know its smelly look it up if its safe cause if could probably kill a bird.

you can use natural beeswax candles, and to freshen the house I use vanilla with water, you cam use baking soda and lemon juice in a container to soak up odur, and you can boil cinnamon, spices, and apple on the stove.

I know its hard but they bring so ,much joy into your life that it outweighs the negative ten fold

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Yeah, I find it difficult! I miss my scented candles. :(
I used to use them around the 'keets before I knew it was bad. (At that time, I only had budgies.)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I do still use natural beeswax candles for religious celebrations. We light them as far away in the house from the birds as possible. I never could use scented candles myself, because I am sensitive to them.

·
Registered
993 Posts
You know I hear those scented candles actually aren't good for us either they coat your nasal passages and I think make it harder for you to keep bacteria out. stuff like that, plus I mean if they can kill a bird its got to at least be not good for our respiratory system

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Birds have very sensitive respiratory systems and so need to be cared for. As the others have said, you really shouldn't use non-stick cookware, smoke or use air freshners or candles n stuff like that around them. Their little lungs wont cope!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Yeah, like Daisy said, strong smelling things.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Some thoughts for those of you (like me) that still like to have wonderful scents in your home but want your avian friends to be 100% safe.

Some advice I received from a friend of mine......

I use cinnamon and orange juice boiled, then as the pot cools it smell wonderful!
You can also use apple pie spice, Pumokin pie spice, or vanilla - just add water and boil then as the pan cools you have an all natural air freshener that is 100% bird safe.

I hope this helps.....

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Thank you!
I've heard something similar to this before, but I couldn't remember exactly what it was. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Thanks for sharing :) I've heard of putting a drop of pure vanilla extract (the organic sort, and the real stuff, no alcohol) on a light bulb to make the house smell good, like fresh baked cookies

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Hmm that's interesting, Jenny. Have you tried it?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
One more idea - but this has nothing to do with smell.

I do use beeswax candles with cotton wicks in the room farthest away from the birds for religious ceremonies. The birds are shut up, and there are three doors between the birds and the candles. These candles have no odor. This is just if you want to use candles for ceremonies or the like.

Reactions: Jenny

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is true! You have to be very careful things like teflon from frying pans, glade air freshners, I dont use any air freshners, smoke, no strong cleaners near the bird. Anything with a fume really. If you know its smelly look it up if its safe cause if could probably kill a bird.

you can use natural beeswax candles, and to freshen the house I use vanilla with water, you cam use baking soda and lemon juice in a container to soak up odur, and you can boil cinnamon, spices, and apple on the stove.

I know its hard but they bring so ,much joy into your life that it outweighs the negative ten fold
While the suggestions made above work for many people, I would like to HIGHLY suggest that you don't keep these candles anywhere near the birds since they are very sensitive to these things. Just my $0.02.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.