Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These fascinating seabirds are long-distance flyers with their migration prowess.

Reactions: Mr Peepers

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well .... ain't they sumthin! Those feather colors and markings are brilliant!
Yes, indeed! They get those bright colors (orange throat and head) during mating season. Here's more about their migration practices on YouTube.

·
Super Moderator
6,138 Posts
Yes, indeed! They get those bright colors (orange throat and head) during mating season. Here's more about their migration practices on YouTube.

Your 1st post made me go google them and check out pics and youtubes because I'd never seen or heard of them before. I was surprised how big they are .... and yet they look smallish too. The colorings and markings especially at breeding season is cool and I bet a little confusing as well. What I was interested to see was if the hens had the same tail and wing markings as the cock birds ... usually the cock has better brighter plumage and markings. I guess in this case he and the hen are equal but he has the ginger colored chest and face to tell him apart from the ladies.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your 1st post made me go google them and check out pics and youtubes because I'd never seen or heard of them before. I was surprised how big they are .... and yet they look smallish too. The colorings and markings especially at breeding season is cool and I bet a little confusing as well. What I was interested to see was if the hens had the same tail and wing markings as the cock birds ... usually the cock has better brighter plumage and markings. I guess in this case he and the hen are equal but he has the ginger colored chest and face to tell him apart from the ladies.
What I found interesting is that the hen is larger than the cock, and although scientists could insert a tracking transmitter easily in the female (to gather migration data) -- they found it more difficult to do the same in the smaller males -- losing some to the operation -- a sad fate for the want of data collection. You would think some tech geek could create a miniaturized version of this transmitter for ease of insertion in the males -- or else give them an iphone12 mini that could be strapped around their necks. Stylish, lightweight, and the male Godwit can fly off alive! 😉

·
Super Moderator
6,138 Posts
What I found interesting is that the hen is larger than the cock, and although scientists could insert a tracking transmitter easily in the female (to gather migration data) -- they found it more difficult to do the same in the smaller males -- losing some to the operation -- a sad fate for the want of data collection. You would think some tech geek could create a miniaturized version of this transmitter for ease of insertion in the males -- or else give them an iphone12 mini that could be strapped around their necks. Stylish, lightweight, and the male Godwit can fly off alive! 😉

I like the iphone idea ... the only draw back would be roaming fee's when the birds fly outside their territory. The scientists would complain about long distance fees and their Carriers won't give them discounts in the name of SCIENCE ... life sucks.

I can also see these godwits hanging around someone's house trying to get a free wifi hook up so they can look at some naughty bird videos online. I need a beer now ... I thought about this much too much today and dented my brain cells.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the iphone idea ... the only draw back would be roaming fee's when the birds fly outside their territory. The scientists would complain about long distance fees and their Carriers won't give them discounts in the name of SCIENCE ... life sucks.

I can also see these godwits hanging around someone's house trying to get a free wifi hook up so they can look at some naughty bird videos online. I need a beer now ... I thought about this much too much today and dented my brain cells.
Very witty response on behalf of male migrating godwits everywhere. I was giggling enthusiastically with your iphone roaming fees comment when the birds fly outside their territory. Pure gold, Nick! You definitely made my day. 😄

1 - 7 of 7 Posts