Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It gets annoying after a while. So my 6 month old sun conure is always on my shoudler but doesn't respect me. I don't know if you understand me but he only comes out to be on my shoulder , not play. Also, When I want to get him off he bites me hard. What can I do to stop this? I reall , really hate it.:(

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I feel that sitting on my shoulder is a privilege, not a right.

I allow my Parrotlet on my shoulder only when I'm wearing my "poop shirt"; otherwise, she isn't allowed there. My Green Cheek isn't allowed on my shoulder at all, she's a bigger bird with a bigger beak and bigger poops! Just one of my quirks, I guess! She's never been allowed, so doesn't try to go to my shoulder.

I would say you have to retrain him that your shoulder is off limits. I would take him off immediately and put him back on his playstand, cage, whatever. You have to be consistent in this until he understands. It can't be sometimes allowed and sometimes not, he won't know the difference. When he stays off your shoulder and plays on his cage or playstand on his own, he should get a reward, like a Nutraberry or something else he likes.

Just my 2 cents worth! I'm sure others will chime in with ideas!
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
As said above I would just totally retrain him. I would remove him from your shoulder all together and place him somewhere away from you. Use a training perch if he doesn't like you that much

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I agree that he should not be allowed on your shoulder at all until he is retrained to know that he isn't allowed to climb up there on his own at all. He is still quite young, so he can learn. I would, however, give him treats and attention he likes when he plays on his play stand or cage or wherever you would like him to play. Teaching him to step onto a perch is also a good suggestion from above.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I can see how that would be a bit irritating. Kiki seems to have that same attitude sometimes, not exactly with shoulders, but other things.
The others gave some great advice. It really takes training and consistency.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.