Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning one of the Vet Nurses found a shoebox and a box of seed in the middle of the foot path just outside the Wildlife Hospital.

We have no idea if the box was left there last night or if it was dropped off very early this morning. Either way, it is currently winter in Australia and it could not have been too pleasant for the little critters inside the box. :(

Once inside we discovered that the box contained two very sick pet Budgies. We suspect that the owners could not or would not spend money to take them to the vet, so they abandoned them in front of the hospital (even though we do not treat pets!!!).

These two are very closesly bonded to each other. They will not leave each other's side. They sit very close together all of the time and they get very upset when separated.

It seems like for a long time they have only been able to rely on each other for comfort and help.

The hospital did some bloodwork on the male Budgie (as a learning experience for the Vet Students) and the results will be finalised tomorrow. They have also been treated for mites with Ivermectin. They are both quite underweight.

Now, here is the big problem. The Parrot Rescue is overflowing, the RSPCA does not have room for them and none of the staff or volunteers want to/can afford to take them home and give them the medical care they need.

They will be euthanised tomorrow morning. Not because they have an incurable disease... not because they are in pain... just because they are unwanted.

I am asking ALL Aussies to consider taking in these two. If I was not taking in two Green Cheeks tomorrow that need urgent medical attention, I would be able to afford to take these two home with me. As it is, I am struggling a lot to raise the money for the surgery one of the GCC will need.

Anyone considering these two will need to take them to an avian vet to check for any illnesses. I'll need the contact information of your avian vet so that I can talk to them and explain the situation. I'll also fax through the medical information we already have for these guys. Distance is not a problem, I'm sure we can sort something out. So ANY Aussies willing to take them in will be considered.

I know this is a long shot - they could cost a fortune or nothing at all to treat - but I thought I would at least try for their sakes. Please let me know! :hug:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Oh, the poor things... If I lived in AU I would help them in a heartbeat!! :frown: The female(blue) is such a beautiful color too, never seen one like it! Poor babies...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.