Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a cropped pic of this birb from my Daily Desktop Wallpaper image, but the identification of the image was not up yet, so I reverse-image searched the owl pic on Google to find out more about this iconic Halloween raptor. Any ideas as to its name?

·
Super Moderator
6,450 Posts
Great Horned Owl ... and its so beautiful. Odd when I look at this pic I can't tell if this is a cock or hen ... they are impossible to sex as they look exactly the same in fierceness and features.

I know its not true but when I see such a stunning birb like this I automatically assume they are all killer cocks!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great Horned Owl ... and its so beautiful. Odd when I look at this pic I can't tell if this is a cock or hen ... they are impossible to sex as they look exactly the same in fierceness and features.

I know its not true but when I see such a stunning birb like this I automatically assume they are all killer cocks!

Your answer is absolutely correct, Mr. Peepers! And to celebrate, here is a link to a great documentary by the CBC from the Nature of Things: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLEHT5m0Xuw"]YouTube | Great Horned Owl[/ame]

And I hope you had a HOOT on Halloween! :grin2:

Reactions: Mr Peepers

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Blakiston's fish owl I believe

Reactions: Sweet Parakeet

·
Super Moderator
6,450 Posts
Your answer is absolutely correct, Mr. Peepers! And to celebrate, here is a link to a great documentary by the CBC from the Nature of Things: YouTube | Great Horned Owl

And I hope you had a HOOT on Halloween! :grin2:

I will check out Robbie later and enjoy CBC's David Suz. The man does a great show each and every time about any subject. Thanks for the vid link!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OWL Be Darned! It's Blakiston's!

Blakiston's fish owl I believe

And no matter what Google Image found for me [ie. Great Horned Owl] your belief is TRUE!

Here is a comparison of two images of the Blakiston's Fish Owl to reveal their similarities. And what comes next is an excellent article about the rarity of this beautiful owl from The Guardian

And the final absolute proof of this birb's identity comes from the Daily Desktop Wallpaper file (which finally updated itself)

And in honor of correctly identifying this raptor, I award you this esteemed digital prize:

Congratulations, catalinadee! YAY! Thank you for being our OWL SPOTTING ANGEL! 0:)
*hugs* ~Sweet Parakeet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts