Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a local bird show coming up soon and of course there will be temptations to get new birds. I've always liked the little parrotlets but I heard they can be nippy to other birds (and people). I've also heard they need to be handled alot to stay tame.

I already have tame fully-flighted Bourke and Splendid Parakeets. Would a Parrotlet be likely to bully them? And can you trust a fully-flighted Parrotlet to stay tame and friendly? Or do they become too wild? I like my birds to be able to fly - but I also want them to be friendly.

Would a Linnie be a better choice? Or should I just stick with Bourkes and Splendids?

·
Registered
662 Posts
We call our parrotlet Sweetpea a rattlesnake. She strikes that fast! She has nipped a few budgie toes and drawn blood. They were on her cage, fair game, and my fault. They don not in my experience get along with other types of parrots. Rosey, our Bourke knows better than to stop at her cage top while out flying her rounds. I love Sweetpea and know she is the way she is for a reason. Treetop snack food in the wilds. She is fully flighted and we let her fly. She won't attack any birds while out. She remains tame and we hold and preen her feathers for her during a molt. She is happy to attack her toys and be left alone.
Now I also think you can have parrotlets with the birds you already have. And I think you, and I mean you not me! can tame your plet to live along side your grass keets and not eat their toes. You should hear them when they get stomping mad! PEEP PEEP PEEP:yikes:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I think a linnie would be a better flock addition - they can be nippy and territorial, but are less pushy about it than parrotlets. That being said, it's really all up to you and how you want to handle it. If you're looking for a friend that can be free flight with all the other birds, a linnie might be better. But if you're ok having one on one time with a parrotlet and potentially having to keep it isolated, they're great little birds :hearts:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Well, it's just my opinion, but Parrotlets hardly get along with each other, let alone another type of bird! They are very feisty and independent and can be nippy for sure. They will go after a bird several times bigger than they are, without a second thought. They are the type of bird that bites and rips first and ask questions later!

My Angelina, an adopted Parrotlet, took ONE FULL YEAR to become bonded and friendly with me, but she won't tolerate any other bird, no matter what kind of bird it is! They usually have to be caged separately from other Parrotlets too. They can be lovey-dovey one minute and attack each other the next! There's always exceptions, of course, but this has been my experience.

I love my little Angelina, BUT you may be better off with a more mellow, easy going type of bird if you want your flock to play together. Just to be on the safe side and save yourself some heartbreak!

Reactions: Jenny

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Ron,
My opinion is that if you really want a parrotlet, you should go for it. I don't have a parrotlet, so I'm not giving advice regarding a particular species. I simply think if that is really the bird that interests you it is better to get that and then take whatever precautions you will need to take to keep them apart if they shouldn't be together.

My only advice regarding getting a parrotlet is that I hear that they can turn fast. What I mean by that is that they can become aggressive without prior warning. So, if a bird like that were in my flock, I would assess what possible damage could be done by the bird and treat it as if it is always likely that the bird WILL inflict that amount of damage. Therefore, if a parrotlet could seriously injur a grasskeet, then I wouldn't keep them together or give them an opportunity to inflict injury. If the worst it could do is a pinch or a scratch that would heal fairly eaisly, then you could take more chances.

Senegals are known to kill even others of the opposite sex of their own species if they don't like them, so I never let Roni have physical contact with any of my other birds. I have to say that except for the greencheek, who has no sense regarding danger whatsoever, my other birds would not get near Roni if given any other choice, so I think the others can sense that would be unsafe, too.

It seems that a higher percentage of linnies might be gentler around your grasskeets than parrotlets. By that I mean that some parrotlets will be fine and some linnies will be fine, but in general linnies are a bit less fiesty. However, there are plenty of aggressive linnies. I would trust my linnie around anything, and she and my bourkes love one another, but I believe, from reading posts on the linnie forum, that my linnie is one of the gentlest linnies alive.

I think both parrotlets and linnies are good candidates to keep flighted, but you MIGHT find linnie pooh objectionable. Linnie pooh doesn't bother me in the least, but I have bigger birds, so in comparison to the larger birds, it isn't worse, but in comparison to the grasskeets, it is much larger and wetter. Perhaps your other birds have large, wet pooh. I have no experience with doves and finches.

Your birds are beautiful. Keep posting pictures. I need my male scarlet chested fixes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I've heard enough to decide that I may not want a parrotlet as a "flock member" with my existing grass keets. Twitter, my female Bourke, already chases Peeper the Splendid (Scarlet Chested) off me all the time, as it is. Twitter also threatens my doves - doesn't hurt them but makes them fly away. So I think I will stick with my 2 keets for now. Do you think a regular budgie or cockatiel might be a better third parrot?

Thanks for warning me about the Linnie's bigger droppings. That is something to consider.

Twitter:

Peeper, the Scarlet-Chested...

Pecker, my dove, who sometimes gets chased by Twitter:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
A cockatiel might fit in very well, they tend to be docile and do well in flock situations. They are dusty so they can be a little messy, but it's really not that bad in my opinion :thumbsup: I agree with Nanay, do some research, decide what you want, weigh the pros and cons... but if you really want a specific species, go for it :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I always recommend cockatiels to anyone who can handle the dust. All of them being from Australia could also mean they might understand one another's body language fairly easily - but no guarantee on that.

Twitter is so funny chasing the others away. I've never heard of another bourkes who is that brave. Stanley says, "You go, girl!" Of course, if Stanley chased the other birds away, she couldn't steal the food right out of their beaks. I guess, in all honesty, Stanley gets whatever Stanley wants, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.