Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to add a Parrotlet to my flock ( may get the pair, not sure yet) are they more loveable if kept seperate like budgies or are they still pretty playful and loveable with two in same cage? are they as quiet as, say, a budgie or Green Cheek Conure? any tips on this specific Parrot? are they very dusty?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Hi -

It's usually best if they are kept separately, but can see each other and "talk" back and forth, and have playtime outside the cage together (if they get along) If you have more than one, they may bond to each other and not as much to you, even in separate cages. Parrotlets are very feisty birds, and can be nippy, some a lot, some not at all and some only seasonally. Their feisty, independent nature is what draws a lot of people to them!

They are very quiet birds, actually the most quiet bird I've ever owned. The males can be a bit louder and have more different sounds, chrips and such, plus they can learn to talk a little. The females, usually just make little chirping sounds, one or two notes, and usually don't talk. If you have more than one, they can really get chirping if they get excited, say when it's treat time. (I used to have 3 Parrotlets)

They need LOTS of toys to keep them busy, things to shred, chew, and make noise, like bells. The toys should be rotated and changed for "new" toys every so often to keep up their interest.

They usually need a BIG cage, bigger than you'd think for that size of bird. I like the HQ flight cage. That little Parrotlet will use every inch of it!

They aren't dusty that I've noticed, and they aren't very messy birds either. I keep the food bowls low in the cage and that helps. They aren't usually food flingers either.

Hope this helps a little. You can get lots more information about Parrotlets on the TalkParrotlets forum -- a sister forum to this one. There's all kinds of different sections on housing, diet, bonding, health, etc., and plenty of people to help answer questions! (www.talkparrotlets.com ).

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Jo Anne pretty much summed it up - they make better companions living separate, are very sweet, but spunky! We have two in the house who live together and our super-tame one no longer wants to be pet very often anymore now that she has a friend. Both are friendly, but don't want to be handled often.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Joanne has summed it up wonderfully.

I can't stress the fact that they do need a large cage, despite being so small. THe largest cage (with proper bar spacing) that you can afford is best. The HQ flight cage is the most commonly used by parrotlet owners.

Reactions: Jenny

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, that helps alot, I'm definately getting the female and she is very loveable, she loves to lay in your hand and rub up against you like a cat would... I may get the male also that has lived in the cage next to her for a long time... the cage she is in now is the same size as the cage I keep my green cheek in (maybe 20in square by 30in tall)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Corey,
I don't know a thing about parrotlets but think they are adorable. Congratulations on your new addition.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Oh, she sounds super sweet!! :lovehearts: My Midge used to do that, just sit on your finger and rub rub rub rub :giggle:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.