Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Budgies ARE parrots.

I have noticed that several people who owned budgies did not realize that budgies are parrots. So I will try to explain and I hope I don’t confuse anyone.

Birds like the eagle belong to the scientific order: Falconiformes
Birds like a sparrow belong to the scientific order: Passeriformes. Canaries and finches also are Passeriformes so they are actually not parrots.

Parrots, also known as psittacines, are birds that make up the order Psittaciformes, found in most warm and tropical regions. The order is subdivded in three families: the Psittacidae ('true' parrots), the Cacatuidae (cockatoos) and the Nestoridae (New Zealand parrots)

If you were to look up the scientific names of

a budgie...Order : Psittaciformes (all parrots)
a macaw ....Order: Psittaciformes
a cockatoo....Order: Psittaciformes
a cockatiel...Order: Psittaciformes
a linnie...Order: Psittaciformes

There are around 372 species of parrots , budgies being one of the smaller.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I thought that budgie line from another member was in jest, but it's surprising how many people don't consider these birds "parrots" for one reason or the other.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that budgie line from another member was in jest, but it's surprising how many people don't consider these birds "parrots" for one reason or the other.
Oh dear, maybe it was and I took it seriously. But I agree, Joe, I think there is a lot of confusion.

·
Registered
86 Posts
... -shame-

I'm one of those people. :(

Excuse my ignorance in my other post, I've been told all my life that "No, Parakeets aren't parrots, they're BIRDS," so it really is a little hard for me to look at them as parrots. :eek:

'Scuse me while I run to hide somewhere.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... -shame-

I'm one of those people. :(

Excuse my ignorance in my other post, I've been told all my life that "No, Parakeets aren't parrots, they're BIRDS," so it really is a little hard for me to look at them as parrots. :eek:

'Scuse me while I run to hide somewhere.
Oh no Masae
I hope I in no way insulted you or hurt your feelings. If I did, I am so sorry. I just wanted to explain that they are a parrot. Forums are how we learn. And beware, there is even misinformation on forums. ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ha, I stand corrected.
Anyhow, I think a lot of the problem is budgies being called "parakeets," especially in the US, where people think parakeet is the proper word for a budgie, and not a type of parrot. So it's parrots and parakeets to a lot of people.

Cockatiels must throw the confused people for a loop if you ask what kind of bird they are. :p

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh no Masae
I hope I in no way insulted you or hurt your feelings. If I did, I am so sorry. I just wanted to explain that they are a parrot. Forums are how we learn. And beware, there is even misinformation on forums. ;)
I'm not insulted, and feelings weren't hurt, so you don't have to worry about that. :p I'm just a *wee* bit embarrassed, that's all. :eek:

That's why I love forums so much, learn something new every day. :p

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Yes, Cockatiels are the odd balls... I've seen in some books that they are really a member of the long-tailed parakeet family, as are conures. I've also read that they are really distant members of the cockatoo family. I would love to finally hear clarification on that one!

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I always thought cockatiels were the smallest member of the 'too family. I think people think of parrots as being not quite so common...budgies are such a commonly kept bird they are not seen as the little parrots they are.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Glad I found this thread; I was just about to create one discussing whether budgies are actually parrots or not.

All I can say is that according to Parrots for Dummies, budgies are referred to as parrots. :p

-

Many birds that are referred to as parakeets actually aren't, such as Lineolated Parakeets, Quaker Parakeets, Budgies(?), and so on.

·
Registered
392 Posts
:hehe: the Great Debate. I've always considered budgies to be parrots, everything I've ever read about them has led me to that conclusion. Cockatiels are related to cockatoo's too. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's actually not even debatable, but a fact that budgerigars are parrots.
The term parakeet as it applies to some parrots is debatable, but a parakeet itself is a type of parrot, so there's no question. Generally the word parrot is just thought of as bigger parrots.

I'll call my Meyer's a "parrot" to someone but not my budgies or linnies just for the sake of it making sense to others.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for the information, Nancy. I love all the facts and scientific information I've seen posted here so far. Even when I already know something, it's nice to hear it in a new way or to confirm what I thought I knew. You have a very nice way of conveying factual information in a pleasant, non-threatening way. I'll look forward to reading more of your posts/stickies.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It gets even more confusing when they say "parakeets" are any bird with a long tail. Linnies have short tails and what about conures? When people ask me about my birds I tell them they are small South American parrots.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love my tiny parrots (budgies), and my pet hate is people referring to them simply as "parakeets" cause there are SOOO many varietys of parakeet. It would be like stealing the term "parrot" to exclusively describe a macaw, or "cockatoo" to exclusively describe a sulpher crested. :rolleyes: I think the little parrots like budgies and 'tiels get forgotten a bit, in the shadow of the big guys like 'zons and macaws, but they've got so much parrot-personality! :)
When people ask me about my birds I tell them they are small South American parrots.
Me too!! Cause so few people have even heard of green cheeked conures here. :p If i suspect the person might be a bit birdy, i will start by saying i have conures. They either nod and smile not knowing really but pretending, or ask what type of conures.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think the best description of parakeet would be smaller parrots with long tails.
The problem is, the word parakeet sort of "cheapens" the bird where one may consider it "not a real parrot."

Which is really a silly thing, if you consider birds like Budgies and Indian Ringnecks and the intelligence they possess. Then again most would look at an IRN and call it a parrot.
I think a lot of this is due to budgies being called "parakeets," and being tiny, abundant birds sold for such a low price.

·
Registered
42 Posts
all hook bills are parrots lol and parakeets are parrots too! The cockatiel is a part of the "TOO" family and the tiel is a parrot ! One of my pet peeves is peeps that call budgies parakeets and dont beleiv that small birds like tiels and budgies are parrots

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.