Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After what seems like a "stalled" moult that lasted several months, Peeper (my Scarlet Chested Parakeet) is finally getting his adult coloration. He was born in August 2009 so I guess it took a year - though the books say he may even get better looking over the next year.

In addition to his coloration, his wing feathers finally grew back so he is flying very well now and seems very happy doing his laps around my house and sunroom.

He still doesn't fly over and land on me on his own, like Twitter my Bourke, but he will go on my arm or finger, as you can see. He does like to nibble my face and arm and will walk up to me, to do that, if I lay on the floor. So he's still a little shy but he's getting friendlier...

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Beautiful! And boy, do you have a nice area for your birds! What a view! BEAUTIFUL!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sunroom

The Sunroom turned out to be a great place for my birds. I upgraded to a ceramic tile floor so it would be easy to clean. So I let my 4 Ringneck Doves, 2 keets (My Scarlet-Chested and my Bourke), and 2 Java Sparrows out in there together - usually for an hour or so a day. They really enjoy the flight time out there, as well as hopping around on the floor and bathing in a large saucer.

My Java Sparrows:

My Doves:

I don't let my smaller finches out though as they are too flighty and would probably crash into the glass. My 2 Java Sparrows were formerly finger-tame so they go back in their cage without a problem. And of course, Ringneck Doves are pretty friendly and tame.

My 2 keets actually live in my Dining Room but my Bourke, at least, knows how to fly from his cage, through the kitchen, to the sunroom.

Twitter, my Bourke:

And just outside the sunroom, I have a little hummingbird that comes to feed at his own little feeder:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Your set up is wonderful.

Peeper is beautiful. Is he a pied of some sort? I ask because it looks like he has yellow on his back and wings.

I am happy to hear he can fly again. He surely must be happy about that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A Pied Peeper?

The breeder didn't mention that Peeper was any special mutation but I was wondering the same thing? If he is pied at least he's not overly pied to where he looks all crazy, all over. A few extra yellow feathers look nice on him. Hopefully, it won't get too out of hand. But his red chest and blue head have come in nicely too.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Pied or not, he is beautiful.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More about a pied peeper??

Nanay,

Peeper's breeder had this to say:

"To the best of my knowledge, the scarlet pair was straight, no splits. I asked about the splits prior to purchasing. Could there be a pied gene, by all means. There are breeders who do not know the genetics of their flock."

So I guess we don't know for sure. I'll keep an eye on those yellow feathers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.